Sneak peek

ColinP

Sneak peek

Post by ColinP »

Just to let you know that developments onboard the secret solar powered floating laboratory that is Adroit Synthesis are advancing, here's a likeness of the prototype beast that is currently strapped to the electrodes...
GP3322.png
GP3322.png (176.95 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
huggermugger

Re: Sneak peek

Post by huggermugger »

Definitely looking forward to this!
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Shame about the coloured + and - signs ......

Otherwise it looks um :shock: big!
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

anonyrat wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:04 pm Shame about the coloured + and - signs ......
Agreed, they look like Christmas decorations. If colour is even necessary, maybe red for - and green for + ?
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

loving the look of this waveform display with its grain nodes! ;) :o

I am also guessing that the colours do have a functional and not a *decorational* reason hmm?

anyway, guys beter get over their colour aversion. world is neither black nor whiet nor a traffic light :lol:
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Thanks for the feedback.

The use of colors for the + and - signs is functional.

Hopefully it's obvious that the small knob for each parameter serves as an attenuverter when a control voltage is plugged into the socket beneath.

But when nothing is connected to the socket the attenuverters still have a purpose - which is to allow a degree of internal modulation to be applied to the parameters if desired.

A mouse click on a + or - sign pops up a small menu with color-coded options...

Random (white)
Envelope Follower (magenta)
Grain Density (red)
LFO 1 (green)
LFO 2 (cyan)
LFO 3 (yellow)
LFO 4 (orange)
Note Envelope (blue)

So it's possible to route an internal modulation source (or an inversion of it) to control a parameter when external CV is not used.

The envelope follower modulator tracks the module's input levels (or if nothing is connected then the module's output levels).

The grain density modulator tracks the number of active grains in proportion to the maximum number of grains setting (which implements a grain stealing algorithm in order to allow users to manage CPU load on older machines).

It's not a particularly sophisticated modulation system as only one source per parameter at a time is usable but it's intended simply as a useful adjunct to more sophisticated external CV modulation.

The idea is that you use external modulation to do clever stuff (for instance using the module's seed output to clock sequencers that generate CV signals that feed back into the process) but that the internal modulation sources allow you to create more mundane modulations without the need to use lots of extra modules.

Modulation variety is particularly important when a cloud has more than about 20 simultaneous grains as it is the different modulation of their parameters that makes things interesting.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Thanks for the explanation Colin but with the post above all I can see now is Christmas lights :shock:

Is it possible to make the bars that make up the amount that go left or right of these knobs, currently grey, coloured ?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

anonyrat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:20 pm Thanks for the explanation Colin but with the post above all I can see now is Christmas lights :shock:

Is it possible to make the bars that make up the amount that go left or right of these knobs, currently grey, coloured ?
I'm not sure that color-coding the rings would work so well. It would result in less functionality (as you'd not be able to see much of the routing) and the color differences might look even more jarring when applied to larger features.

The screen grab shows a rather artificial situation as often most of the + and - symbols are white - either because external CV is connected or simply because the modulation defaults to random (which is color-coded white).

Also the image is of a prototype, the final artwork will use less saturated colors.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

anonyrat wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:04 pm ...it looks um :shock: big!
Yes it's a big module. In fact the final module will be even bigger than shown here as there are some novel features that I'm not revealing at this point in time.

But although it'll take up a lot of real estate it will bring a lot of capability to your patches.

I've been working on this since October but there's still some experimentation and a lot of refinement to do and then I want to put this beast through prolonged beta testing so release is still some way off.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”