Multiout - amm... ok - How?

Quadra emulates one of the quirkiest, rarest, and most curiosity-inspiring vintage synthesizers of all time, the 1978 ARP Quadra.
timmsusa

Multiout - amm... ok - How?

Post by timmsusa »

Nice Synth,

lot of people talking lots of stuff but how can I apply those 4 outs with DAWs out there? Ableton, Logic, Reason, Bitwig, Cakewalk, Reaper? Does it make sense to give the community ready set up ( Ableton = Audio Rack, Logic = bla Rack, Reason = Combinator, Bitwig = Amazing Bla Rack, Cakewalk... , Reaper = Amazing Quadra Synth Patch?

Cheers!
Steve W

Re: Multiout - amm... ok - How?

Post by Steve W »

timmsusa wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:33 am lot of people talking lots of stuff but how can I apply those 4 outs with DAWs out there?
I have played a little with the standalone Quadra. Does it have 4 discreet audio output ports? Looking at the panel, I thought it was just a mixer for the four sections that went to a single audio out. I will have to explore that to see if I can access 4 outs in my DAW.

Found something in the online manual: https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... adra/multi. Found the multi out vsts on my PC. Found the multi out versions in my DAW. :-)

It works just like other multi-output VSTs. My DAW of Choice has an "Insert Instrument" function that has a number of options, including an option to create an Instrument Track for each output a VST has. I have used that option before with VSTs having multiple outputs. So, I now have 5 Instrument Tracks (as discussed in the Quadra manual) all going to a single instance of Quadra.

Thanks for mentioning this feature!!!
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

It's easy in Logic. Just choose the multi-out version of Quadra from the popup list, then click the "+" button a few times to add the multi-out channels.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.48.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.48.00 AM.png (500.03 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

The help documentation has a section on using multi-out, with a section dedicated to Logic Pro, which apparently takes some explaining: Using Quadra Multi Out Version.

Greg
3rddawn

Post by 3rddawn »

Apologies if I'm being dumb here, but how do you do this multi-out in Ableton?
Thanks
:)
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I assume it would be whatever way any multiple outs are handled in Ableton (or any other DAW). I don't used Ableton. Is there an Ableton community forum? Is it shown in the Ableton documentation? I am not sure CA wants to get into showing all methods for all DAWs.

NEW INFO: I just Googled "ableton multiple outs" and got a number of hits. Did you try any of those?

Here's a text based list of steps. The link has a screen grab. There were also video tutorials available through the Google search.
Using multi-out plug-ins
Live Versions: All
Operating System: All
Several plug-ins provide more than the standard stereo output. Here's how to access those individual outputs:

1. Load a multi-out plug-in into a MIDI track.
2. Create an audio track.
3. In the upper "Audio From" chooser (Input Type) select the track containing the multi-out plug-in.
4. In the lower "Audio From" chooser (Input Channel) select the sub-out of the plug-in.
5. Set the audio track's Monitor switch to "In".
6. Repeat these steps for any additional output you want to use.

from https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... t-plug-ins
As huggermugger noted, use the Quadra Multi Out dll. Based on my and others' successes I assume CA did their job right and the Multi Out version will work in any DAW that supports Multi Out plug-ins. I also assume that since all DAWs have their own ways of doing things, each DAW will be slightly different. Apologies if the method posted on the Ableton site doesn't work. I also assume that it should since its from their site.
3rddawn

Post by 3rddawn »

Thanks Steve - it works perfectly after following all of those steps. For some reason I hadn't thought of looking at Ableton's site itself for general info on handling multi-outs vsts. So thanks for the reference.
Cheers

Return to “Quadra Synthesizer”