Fader module added to LSSP XL

ColinP

Re: Fader module added to LSSP XL

Post by ColinP »

Funny you should mention pencils, Peter. I used to be very particular about only using my very nice 0.5 mm Rotring pencil which did about 25 years worth of heavy duty service and is still in excellent shape. But getting decent soft leads is a pain so I switched to a 1 mm Mitsubishi Uni-Ball Jetstream SNX-210 pen a year or two ago. These are dirt cheap yet give reasonable performance for my kind of scribblings and the refills are readily available.

Anyway, back on topic... :D

Although the two CV inputs have different legends they are almost functionally identical. They are simply the two CV inputs for the two VCA that are wired in series. So you can swap the cables around and it will work the same.

The legends underneath the sockets are different only to aid in understanding what a patch is doing. So if you want to change the fade in point, for instance, then you know which cable to re-route. But it's just a convention.

Here's what's happening in the patch...
faderpost2.png
faderpost2.png (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Red = Part 1 fade in signal
Yellow = Part 1 IS ACTIVE signal
Green = Part 2 fade out signal
Cyan = Part 2 IS ACTIVE signal
Magenta = final audio signal

The IS ACTIVE signals gate the fade signals. In other words when low they turn the high fade signals off. In a minute I'll knock up an illustration just to make it completely obvious, then move on to how to fix the glitch.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Red = effective gain of first Fader module
Yellow = effective gain of second Fader module
Magenta = final audio signal
faderpost3.png
faderpost3.png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Thanks Colin I feel like the dumb kid in the corner being taught by a very patient teacher 🙂

I'm a Staedtler clutch pencil man still, tried the very thin leads but they keep breaking cos I am too heavy han......

.... Sorry I digress

Thanks for the diagrams but the kid in the corner has a comprehension problem with diagram 2.
The red line fades in when the yellow gate opens - when the gate closes the red lines remains where it is at max until next gate.
The green line fades out When the blue gate opens however unlike the yellow gate above the green line does not remain but changes immediately.
My Staedtler mind says surely it should stay at zero until the next gate ?

I'll just go and put my pointed "D" hat on,..
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Sorry, I sometimes come across as an old fart of a teacher but I'm just trying to be helpful. It's a fine balance between being seen to be thoughtful and being seen to be condescending. ;)

In my experience people who asks questions are the smartest.

Your observations are correct but the end results after the fade and IS ACTIVE gate signals are combined are the gains shown in the faderpost3.png image.

These final gain contours are what are required to do the job.

The IS ACTIVE signals allow only the desired parts of the fader signals to have an effect. This is the same mechanism as used in your patch with Andrew's Gated Signal module.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”