VM 960 quantized output

martin_l

VM 960 quantized output

Post by martin_l »

The quantized output is a very helpfull addition to the 960 sequential controller.
However, I noticed that the quantization algorithm is not what one would expect.
It seems the quantization is always downwards, and not centered. While in general, it does not make a huge difference in a module like that, but here it has the consequence, that the highest setting (i.e. 24 semitones above for the x1 range) cannot be reached with the quantized output. The highest saturates at 23 semitones. It would be great if the quanization could be changed to round() instead of truncation the float ( i assume that this is how it's impemented).

Cheers,
Martin
MRBarton

Re: VM 960 quantized output

Post by MRBarton »

Hi Martin,

Yes, guilty as charged. Will fix.

thanks,
--mb
martin_l

Post by martin_l »

Thanks a lot. This will probably help many users of the sequencer.

Cheers,
Martin
martin_l

Post by martin_l »

Thanks for addressing this. Unfortunatly, I now noticed that the quantized output is still not quite what one would expect.
You seem to have adjust5ed slightly the range of the knobs, so that also the quatized output is able to give the full range at the max knob setting.

However, this was not really the root of the problem, but rather a side effect. The root of the problem is that the quantizing algorithm is wrong. You seem to have implemented a 'dopping of the decimals' (of floor() in more algorithmic terms), rather that a rounding to the nearest integer.

For example, if you dial in a 6.99 semitones on the knob, the unquantized output will give you a tone which is very close to the quint (7 semitones), while the quantized output will give you 6 semitones. Sometimes it is useful to use both outputs to generate some detuning, or also to quickly switch from the quantized to the unquantized one, and at the moment, this often leads to different results due to the above described way of quantizing.

By the way, the Quantizer from the Core collection behaves as expected.

I should add that I appear a bit picky here, but I do love the VM900 (and also the VM2500). It is great to have those monsters available for experimentation and production.

Return to “Cherry Audio/MRB”