Artefacts sounding like a Bit Crusher

Stardust 201 is a hot-rodded interpretation of the classic Roland "Space Echo" tape echo effects of the 70s and 80s.
GusGranite

Re: Artefacts sounding like a Bit Crusher

Post by GusGranite »

nkf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:22 am No update in over 5 months concerning this bug - this is very disappointing.
I just read this thread. When you submit a bug report, the developers need specifics. If they ask for a preset, you provide a preset. If they ask for a video, you provide a quick video. I don’t think you have been clear enough in this bug report to define the issue. I expect the lack of specific responses have made it difficult to replicate the issue.
nkf

Post by nkf »

GusGranite wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:50 pm
nkf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:22 am No update in over 5 months concerning this bug - this is very disappointing.
I just read this thread. When you submit a bug report, the developers need specifics. If they ask for a preset, you provide a preset. If they ask for a video, you provide a quick video. I don’t think you have been clear enough in this bug report to define the issue. I expect the lack of specific responses have made it difficult to replicate the issue.
What are you talking about? I doubt you really read the four pages. I gave a preset as a screenshot, described everything in detail several times so that the bug can be reproduced to 100%.
Other companies, who relied on my beta testing for years in the past were Waves, Steinberg, AKAI and others - at the moment it is Acon Digital.
I'm not a beta tester here, but provided a lot of info which is absolutely sufficient to replicate the bug.
This bug was also mentioned on Facebook by other users. It is the task of the developer to rectify such things.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

nkf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:05 pm
GusGranite wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:50 pm
What are you talking about? I doubt you really read the four pages. I gave a preset as a screenshot, described everything in detail several times so that the bug can be reproduced to 100%.
Other companies, who relied on my beta testing for years in the past were Waves, Steinberg, AKAI and others - at the moment it is Acon Digital.
I'm not a beta tester here, but provided a lot of info which is absolutely sufficient to replicate the bug.
This bug was also mentioned on Facebook by other users. It is the task of the developer to rectify such things.
Your tone is unfriendly and you refuse to provide helpful responses to basic requests. I can see why this one might not have been prioritized…

What samplerate do you run your DAW at? I will try to recreate the issue in Reaper tonight.
nkf

Post by nkf »

GusGranite wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:19 pm
Your tone is unfriendly and you refuse to provide helpful responses to basic requests. I can see why this one might not have been prioritized…

What samplerate do you run your DAW at? I will try to recreate the issue in Reaper tonight.
[/quote]

It would be totally unprofessional to handle a bug on questions of friendly or unfriendly tones of descriptions. I lost patience when Greg asked the same again and again, asked for preset, while it is a question of moving the parameters, not a single preset as I wrote again and again.
And it is something within Nuendo (probably Cubase too), haven't used this in Reaper.
The DAW SR for this was 44.1 kHz.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

nkf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pm
Thanks for posting your crash info. Can you also send your log files?
No. I think you got enough info. My time is valuable.
Wow, your time is *so* valuable that you can spend hours bitching about the lack of support you think you're getting about this problem, when instead you could have spent a few minutes uploading a patch or log files as they requested, and possibly have had the issue resolved months ago. Cherry has easily got the most responsive tech support I've ever seen in a developer, but tech support is a two-way process. You clearly don't get that.
Last edited by huggermugger on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nkf

Post by nkf »

huggermugger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:35 pm
nkf wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pm
Thanks for posting your crash info. Can you also send your log files?
No. I think you got enough info. My time is valuable.
Wow, your time is *so* valuable that you've spent hours bitching about the lack of support you think you're getting about this problem, when instead you could have spent a couple of minutes uploading a patch or log files as requested, and possibly have had the issue resolved months ago. Cherry has easily got the most responsive tech support I've ever seen in a developer, but tech support is a two-way process. You clearly don't get that.
I don't need "hours bitching" - this is typed in a few seconds. Yes, my time is valuable and I spent it for what I think is necessary. And if you would be a professional, who has decades of experiences, you would know that developers sometimes try to do a certain game to postpone work on a bug. That is, they demand more and more info about that bug. But I'm not obligated to do that as a payed customer. Furthermore I presented plenty of info to replicate the bug, not matter what a log file would show - we're not talking about a crash here! Therefore no crash log is produced. It is an audio quality issue. Have you thought about that?
Better next time you mind your own business, not trying to weaken other customers attempts to get a bug rectified.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Its been a while since I tried this, but with all the recent antagonism, I thought I'd try it again.
nkf wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:24 am Just try the following to hear it clearly: play some notes into the Stardust 201 with a Intensity pushed to long feedbacks, then move the Repeat Rate up and down quickly and play more notes, slow down Repeat Rate and listen -> aliasing sound frenzy!
I am installing it. BTW, did you read the license? The WARRANTEE section might be of interest.
Back. The test: Booted my DAW and a Spectrum Program (Visual Analyser) to monitor my audio. Started a tune. Inserted SD 201 on master bus. Made sure SD 201 was getting the audio and VA was displaying it. (Discovered my PC has noise spikes at 10K and 20K. :-( Its lower than -96 dB, but still visually louder than other frequencies. Shut down the DAW to verify it was in my PC's audio.)

Restarted DAW. Played a softsynth following the above instructions and went beyond by playing the feedback (tweaking knobs).

The results were the same as my first test. I can make the SD 201 do crazy things. However, from what I saw and heard, all of the craziness was directly related to my settings. Any frequencies that were disproportionately emphasized seemed to be the result of my settings (e.g., extreme feedback of shifting resonance frequencies).

This is not to doubt that you don't have issues on your specific computer with your hardware and software.
Stardust 201 Tape Echo is a hot-rodded interpretation of the classic Roland "Space Echo" tape echo effects of the 70s and 80s.
Adding large amounts of feedback would overload the circuit and tape itself, resulting in wild, distorted "runaway" feedback effects.
Today's test confirms what I felt when I tried to duplicate your results several months ago. As stated in the documentation, it is indeed hot-rodded! It is unfortunate that you are getting unwanted effects with your setup. Hope you can figure out the cause of it.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nkf

Post by nkf »

Steve W wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:04 pm BRB
I am installing it. BTW, did you read the license? The WARRANTEE section might be of interest.
I like Cherry Audio a lot, I bought over 60 products from them (bundles, modules, instruments FX). I would like to see them functioning with support and bug eradications. Other companies are much more responsive.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

nkf wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:18 pm I like Cherry Audio a lot, I bought over 60 products from them (bundles, modules, instruments FX). I would like to see them functioning with support and bug eradications. Other companies are much more responsive.
Again, I don't doubt that this tape delay has issues on your system. And I don't doubt that you sincerely wish it would work for you. I do, too! But evidently this is one tool that will not work for you.

I have software from other companies (some of which are much bigger). A number of them have products that cost much more and are far less responsive than CA!!! But it is not unusual for different people to have different experiences with support. There are some companies where I have had great experiences although others have had bad experiences (and vice versa).

Sorry to see all the antagonism, although I had fun playing with SD 201 today.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

I just tested it in Reaper and I am unable to reproduce the problem. I guess it is a DAW specific issue. I recommend following CAs debugging requests and working with them to see if you can nail it down. I hope you get it sorted. Maybe a second person who uses the same DAW can help verify as well?You mentioned Facebook?

Return to “Stardust 201 Tape Echo”