silly user question: full polyphonic mode?

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
wwjdx

silly user question: full polyphonic mode?

Post by wwjdx »

I know, I know, 2600 IS a mono/duophonic unit originally, but... just wondering if there is a switch hidden somewhere to kick in 8 or 16 poly?

I'm too lame to READ manuals, and just mess about with what I see on screen. I realize they went full authenticity mode, but maybe it has poly and don't see it?

It's just dandy how it is now, and I get it. Just wishing and hoping for feature extension. :)
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: silly user question: full polyphonic mode?

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

No, since we are attempting to emulate the original hardware, we want to keep the features that make the original sound unique. We do make some additions, but we don't want to mess with the original experience too much.

Greg
wwjdx

Post by wwjdx »

Fair enough. Thanks! :)
c0z

Post by c0z »

Hi Greg,
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:58 pm No, since we are attempting to emulate the original hardware, we want to keep the features that make the original sound unique. We do make some additions, but we don't want to mess with the original experience too much.
Is this why you added polyphony and a sequencer to the PS-20? ;)

A sequencer would be a killer feature for the CA2600 in my opinion. Maybe you could consider adding one. Polyphony would also be nice though.

Just my $0.02 :)
c0z
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Agreed, the PS20's poly mode is just amazing and the CA2600 would be the same, a real step up from the usual mono modes, maybe the CPU load would be too much on the CA2600 ?
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Yes, +1 ! The PS-20 made the "keep it original" obsolete. ;)
wwjdx

Post by wwjdx »

while I fully agree with CA and support their decisions and products with my wallet votes, I understand the products are complete and as is, and I bought it as such. I don't expect Porsche to suddenly give me a free Turbo just because their newer cars get one. :)

With that model, perhaps a $5 to $9 "UPGRADE" charge would work to go back and revisit the code, adding in poly as optional bonus? Some of us would be okay doing it that way. Or maybe it would be too much coding work and not worth the effort.

Side note: I do LOVE that the PS-20 is poly violating the "keep it original" philosophy . I can use it like a mono whenever I feel like, but love mashing down chords.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

I thought that the PS-20 Poly mode was to enable emulations of the mahoosive PS-3x00 synths. There's no real equivalent in the ARP universe (unless you count the hen's teeth Centaur).

In saying that, I do occasionally find myself switching the Arturia 2600 V into Poly mode, so authenticity be damned!

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Let's not forget that the Miniverse was made polyphonic, even though the original wasn't. While I like true-to-life synths, I also don't mind getting extra features. I'd really like to have poly on all the soft synths, just like I'd really like a 24 dB/Octave filter and user-loadable waveforms on the DreamSynth. Oh, and different keyboard modes on the Miniverse. Please, please please <making the puppy-dog-pout>. :D
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Bumpination !

Still puzzled why this decision of no polyphony when the PS20 has it.

Reminds me of some Boss/Roland occasional unexplained psycho-rigid decisions. ;)

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”