Moog Rogue?

Surrealistic MG-1 Plus is a loving recreation of the Realistic MG-1, an oddball synthesizer sold by the 1980's consumer electronics giant Radio Shack.
Mr Arkadin

Moog Rogue?

Post by Mr Arkadin »

As this synth is so close to being a Moog Rogue, would it be possible to add those features (and take some away) from the MG-1 to create a Rogue variant. It wouldn't take much development really and would make a nice additional free gift. Overall the MG-1 looks to be more flexible I'll admit. In real life of course the pitch and mod wheels added a lot of performance ability, but in software you have that ability on the MG-1 too.

Differences between MG-1 and Rogue:

Modulation section:
Lose Tone Source and Filter sliders, replace with OSC and VCF switches.

Osc section:
Footage selection is fixed between both oscillators
Detune slider becomes knob with Unison and Octave up settings
Waveform selection fixed between both oscillators: either Saw for osc 1/2, or Square for osc1/Pulse for osc2

Filter:
Tracking selector becomes continuous knob

Contour section :
Same as MG-1 (obviously slight GUI differences)

Mixer section:
Loses Poly and Bell tones.
Adds (very slight) overdrive for top of mixer travel
UrbanCyborg

Re: Moog Rogue?

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I'm not any kind of spokesman for CA, but I'll mention the obvious: it wouldn't sound like a Moog Rogue. That would require new internals, something I'd sure want Mark Barton in on. If we're talking about a new synth in the Moog line, I can think of better ones than the Rogue. The Matriarch, maybe?

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

As far as I'm aware the internals are the almost the same, they'd be taking away the parts that are different (poly and bell).

The lfo, osc section and filter are the same. Remember they produced both these synths to be cheap so they share design and components.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Granted, but it's still a Moog design, and the MG-1 ain't. The MemoryMoog was done on the cheap, too, but it's hardly identical to, say a Prophet IV. You want that sound, you design for it. Even in software. An oscillator isn't exactly like some other oscillator, and filters and EGs sure aren't. There's a reason the MiniMode is so convincing; it mimics the circuitry of the original at some level of abstraction. Surely you wouldn't claim that the PS-20 sounds just like a MemoryMode because it's got the same block functions?

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

The MG-1 was a Moog synth, just branded for Radio Shack. I mean they even snuck in the name Moog in the model number: MG-1. Not sure why you think otherwise, the rear panels even say "Manufactured by Moog for Radio Shack". Literally the same year and the same plant as the Rogue with a lot of the same circuit design and components, not really the differences you're trying to claim with the Moog/SCI comparison.

The osc, filter etc are literally the same components with very few design differences. You can see pictures of the innards online, usually showing the fact that both synths suffered the same 'black foam of death' design choice.

Moog Rogue.jpg
Moog Rogue.jpg (263.58 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
MG-1.jpg
MG-1.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Brouculy

Post by Brouculy »

To make a long story short, I 'd love to see Cherry Audio Moog Rogue too. I fully agree with what Mr Arkadi told in the first post.
Besides a free gift or commercial one, either way will be fine. If it will be available as a commercial product, I would buy it! ;)

Anyways, MG-1 Plus sounds so excellent. I tried to copy a sound watching MG-1 video on Youtube, and I found it sounds so close.
MG-1 Plus catches look & feel of MG-1. I love it!

Return to “Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer”