User Presets Default Location

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Bigcat75

User Presets Default Location

Post by Bigcat75 »

Greetings!

Is there a plan in the pipeline to allow us to change the default location of where user presets are stored? I use an external SSD on my laptop to store my DAW projects, audio, etc. so that when I go to my studio all I have to do is plug the SSD into my studio PC and load the project. To currently get around this I have to copy the presets from the local Roaming directory of my laptop to the local Roaming directory of my studio PC, but it would be simpler to just save them on my SSD with everything else and just map the user preset directory to the SSD. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: User Presets Default Location

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Good idea - I will add this to the feature list. (=
Bigcat75

Post by Bigcat75 »

Amazing!! Thanks!
kuanding

Post by kuanding »

would it be a good idea to use dropbox for user presets default location?

I have a Mac & a windows machine both running Voltage modular and am thinking of syncing presets using dropbox.
JX3D

Post by JX3D »

kuanding wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm would it be a good idea to use dropbox for user presets default location?
Well, the following is only a problem with backups, but I think I should mention it now we talk about clouds.

You should be carefull with using cloud for "dynamic files", ie. files that might be renamed while being backed up by your host DAW (or whatever). If it happens too fast, dropbox wont know what happened, and the newly stored file (after the old one is renamed) may be detected by dropbox as deleted (online) and therefore being deleted localy. This is a common problem with cloud services.

I tried it in Cubase, and this is what happens:

My Cubase is setup to backup files.
When I save a project, the old project file is renamed.
Then Cubase saves the new version with the original name of the renamed file.
But it happens so fast, that dropbox gets confused, so it detects the new version as being deleted, because it was renamed, so it deletes it on the local drive, because it is no longer in dropbox online.
So I loose the latest saved version.

I think the problem could be solved by slowing down the saving process after renaming, but it is actually dropbox who should solve that problem. And other cloud services, as it is a well known problem.
My music projects: https://soundcloud.com/jx3d
Bigcat75

Post by Bigcat75 »

Yeah, I tried to use a OneDrive folder as my default preset location, but it didn't last longer than the current session. As soon as I closed VM and reopened it, it reverted back to the default directory of \AppDate\Roaming\Voltage\Presets.

I then set the default directory to a directory on my external SSD, and the change persisted. Whenever I launch VM now, it looks at my SSD as the default preset location. I actually wanted it on my external SSD in the first place, but thought I'd give it a try on a OneDrive directory based on this thread.
Bigcat75

Post by Bigcat75 »

Bigcat75 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 am Whenever I launch VM now, it looks at my SSD as the default preset location.
I actually retract this statement. Even though Settings > General says that my SSD is the default preset location, VM is still reading from and writing to the \AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Presets directory for user presets. I noticed that the Voltage Modular.settings file states that my SSD drive is the default location, but the log files say that it scanning the \AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Presets directory for user presets.

CA,

How can I change this so that VM always uses my specified location as the default for presets?
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Bigcat,

Reproduce the problem by saving a preset, quit VM and then email support@cherryaudio.com with your latest log file. It shouldn't be behaving the way you are describing. Thanks!
Bigcat75

Post by Bigcat75 »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:48 pm Bigcat,

Reproduce the problem by saving a preset, quit VM and then email support@cherryaudio.com with your latest log file. It shouldn't be behaving the way you are describing. Thanks!
Done! I sent some screen shots as well, along with the steps I am taking to reproduce this.

Thanks!!
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Bigcat,

Thanks again - this is now fixed for 1.2.4 which I hope will be out next week.

Return to “Voltage Modular”