Sunwave Paraphonic Ensemble (for VM Core)

Share your custom presets here.
utdgrant

Sunwave Paraphonic Ensemble (for VM Core)

Post by utdgrant »

I wanted to create an Eminent / Solina tri-chorus ensemble using VM. I used 3 synced Super LFOs phase-shifted by 120 degrees each to generate a 'slow' chorus modulation and another 3 to generate a 'fast' modulation. This got close to the Solina sound. Be aware that it's a very fine balancing act trying to get the right combination of rate and depth settings to avoid making it sound 'churny', so I've dedicated the Perform knobs to the Ensemble unit so they can be tweaked together in one place.

Once I had the ensemble generator sussed out, I built upon it to create this 'Paraphonic Synth Constructor Kit', so that I could emulate different divide-down machines from the 1970s.

At the base is a 16-voice poly source, with each voice made up of a sawtooth oscillator, VCA and ADSR. There is a single dedicated LFO for vibrato.

The poly signal is then fed through a high-pass VCF, then a low-pass VCF, then into a voltage-controlled phaser. The phaser is made by cascading multiple all-pass filters. It is selectable from 1 to 6 phase shift stages for different characters. Positive and negative feedback is also available.

There is a single global modulation LFO which can be routed to LPF, HPF and Phaser. There is also a global ADSR which can be routed to the same destinations. Having and envelope-controlled phaser is a nice feature. I personally think this one sounds better than the Quadra phaser, but YMMV.

Finally, there is a stereo delay section.

I've had a lot of fun designing, building and refining this patch. I've always had a soft spot for paraphonic machines and this certainly scratches my itch in that department. I've provided 13 Variations to demonstrate some of its sonic potential, but I hope you have some fun tweaking it for yourselves.

YouTube demo
Attachments
Sunwave Block Diagram.png
Sunwave Block Diagram.png (51.52 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

Re: Sunwave Paraphonic Ensemble (for VM Core)

Post by PoohBear »

Hi,

Where is the patch to download?

Regards
PB
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

PoohBear wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:54 pm Hi,

Where is the patch to download?

Regards
PB
Hi PoohBear,

I'm not entirely sure what happened, as I definitely provided attachments for both the diagram and the patch itself.
I'll try a repost now.

Regards,
Grant
Sunwave Paraphonic Ensemble.voltagepreset
(252.63 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Post by PoohBear »

utdgrant wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:32 am
Hi PoohBear,

I'm not entirely sure what happened, as I definitely provided attachments for both the diagram and the patch itself.
I'll try a repost now.

Regards,
GrantSunwave Paraphonic Ensemble.voltagepreset
Got it now, beautifully done... I'm a sucker for "Space Phase" sounds : :D
prlinhares

Post by prlinhares »

Amazing patch!! I am sure that I'll learn a lot studying that.

Thanks Grant!

Regards,

Paulo Linhares (from Brazil)

Return to “Preset Exchange”