Important feature request

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SA2K

Important feature request

Post by SA2K »

I have a request Cherry Audio adds a quantization module that supports Scala .scl files because every modular needs microtonal scales. I want to do stuff like sequence the VM900 modules with exotic Just Intonation and Pythagorian scales. Maybe you could make a Moog MOTM aka Mother Of The Modular set of emulations for Voltage Modular also.
UrbanCyborg

Re: Important feature request

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Andrew Macaulay and others have modules that support microtuning, and Adroit and Playertron, at least, support transmission of scales, although perhaps not Scala.scl ones. As for the MOTM, have you had a look at CA/MRB's VM900 modules?
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:06 am Andrew Macaulay and others have modules that support microtuning, and Adroit and Playertron, at least, support transmission of scales, although perhaps not Scala.scl ones. As for the MOTM, have you had a look at CA/MRB's VM900 modules?
I have VM900 and enjoy it. It would be better to make a module allow loading of .scl Scala files than to require the end user to manually program the tuning for most people. There are 100's of microtonal scales avaialable for free for Scala.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Good news. I found out Andrew Macauleys "MicroTuning" module has presets including one for Just Intonation and also loads any Scala file. So I'm set now. No need for the feature request.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Adding a Microtonal Scale module to LSSP is on my to-do list.

Scala Scale (.scl) file support looks relatively easy to implement but I'd also like to support Scala Keyboard Mapping (.kbm) files and spend a little time thinking about the design in general so it's not a module that could be just knocked up quickly. Which is why it doesn't already exist.

Anyway, hopefully a new module will be added to LSSP this summer. In the meantime LSSP XL users interested in microtonal tuning can hack together their own microtonal S-Poly scales using the Mono to S-Poly module. Although this is obviously rather fiddly to do.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Weevil's Voltage Modular Scaler module is a fine example of a module that supports any .scl Scala file.

Return to “Voltage Modular”