Questions to Note Watcher + Chord Player

seal58

Questions to Note Watcher + Chord Player

Post by seal58 »

Hi Colin,
I try to get familiar with your modules. While experimenting with Chord Player I did not get expected results. So I used Note Watcher to find out, what is wrong. But Note Watcher itselfs braught further questions.

The goal is a preset, that imitates guitar sound. For test I began with a three note chord of C3+E3+G3. The CVs are first convertet from Mono to Poly, then from Poly to S-Poly.

1. :?:
In S-Poly signal basic chord note is missing on Note Watcher. But surprice, after reconverting to Poly there are all three notes again.
Is that a S-Poly based fact or an issue?

2. :?:
When I feed that S-Poly chord signal into Chord Player, basic note is missing in MIDI signal. Why?

3. :?:
At Chord Player MIDI output I get only second chord note, while basic chord note is below C4. (first screen shot)
Beginning from C4 second and third notes appear in the MIDI signal. Basic note is still missing.
In order to exclude eventual Note Watcher fault, I used Weevil's Mono Midi module additionally. It can visualize any MIDI channel activity.
On step 2. only on ch1 activity is visible, on step 3. both ch1 and ch2 show activity. But there should be activity on ch3 too.

I cannot find out, what I'm doing wrong and would like to get any help.

By the way, I increased VM voice number temporarily without getting better result.

Roland
poly-test_C3-E3-G3_b.jpg
poly-test_C3-E3-G3_b.jpg (646.99 KiB) Viewed 921 times
poly-test_C4-E4-G4_b.jpg
poly-test_C4-E4-G4_b.jpg (643.68 KiB) Viewed 921 times
ColinP

Re: Questions to Note Watcher + Chord Player

Post by ColinP »

Hi Roland,

The problem is caused by the S-Poly Adapter module just doing a one-to-one conversion.

I hint at the problem in the S-Poly introduction on the website...
But note that the S-Poly Adapters module does a simple one-to-one conversion so won’t magically convert S-Poly chord signals to a form suitable for polyphonic use with regular modules.
It's my fault for not explaining it more and not even mentioning the potential problem on the S-Poly Adapter's page. Something I will fix.

The image below shows what's going on...
spolyconfusion.png
spolyconfusion.png (619.09 KiB) Viewed 916 times
The first channel of an S-Pioly signal says how many notes there are.

But in your patch rather than the first channel saying it's got three notes instead the channel 1 signal is the pitch of the first note C3 which happens to be 1 volt so the S-Poly system thinks it's getting a one note "chord" with the sole pitch being the E3.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Hi Colin,

thanks for explanation, now I see. So I have to feed Chord Player with a +6 volt offset to normalized pitch CV, when I want to use 6 notes. Is that right?

I just went arround Song Control. Wow! Your idea of time control by CV is geniusly and simple at same time! Great! You used common things to create a new world of modularity.
I'm sure, I will have a lot of fun with LSSP. :D

Roland
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Yup, but there's rarely any need to construct S-Poly signals by hand. Try using the Diatonic Triads, Chord or Chord Memory modules.

The best way into LSSP is definitely to work through the tutorials as they include ready built patches so you can be up and running in no time.

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/lssp-101-tutorials/

Then look at the XL Workshops.

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/lssp-xl-workshops/
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Ok, thanks.
I already started with tutorials. It's a lot of stuff, but Your example presets are very helpful for understanding. And if I need help, I'm sure I'll get it here.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”