Question about porting existing dsp code

boonier

Question about porting existing dsp code

Post by boonier »

Hi!

I've another basic noob question

So for a module manufacturer like Vult for example, they have a large range of modules in the VM store that reflects the range in VCV Rack. I know they use their own Vult language that transpiles to a range of languages, C++, JavaScript etc, but I see no Java option.

Would they have used the C++ wrapped using JNI, or ported everything to Java by hand? Just trying to get the lay of the land in this domain :)

Cheers
UrbanCyborg

Re: Question about porting existing dsp code

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I think you'd have to ask Vult about specifics, since CA only has access to byte-code compiled modules, not the actual internals. He might or might not be willing to share the information, given that it's his stock in trade.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
collidermod

Post by collidermod »

There's an intermediate "Vult" DSP language that has compilation targets of C++ or Java -- https://modlfo.github.io/vult/

I tried this out a few months back, and if I recall, the docs for exporting Java code aren't quite correct, but I did get it to work after sifting through the source a bit and using the errors messages to adjust things.
boonier

Post by boonier »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:18 am I think you'd have to ask Vult about specifics, since CA only has access to byte-code compiled modules, not the actual internals. He might or might not be willing to share the information, given that it's his stock in trade.
Thanks @UrbanCyborg. Strange I can't see any reference to Java (on JavaScript) in the docs, perhaps I'm overlooking something?

I was more interested in whether you'd have to port your existing dsp code into Java (more work depending on complexity), or whether you could leverage importing an interface to C/C++ code (less work)?

Return to “Module Designer”