FR: Non-Return-To-Zero on Trapezoid and VC Envelope

utdgrant

FR: Non-Return-To-Zero on Trapezoid and VC Envelope

Post by utdgrant »

I would like to request an added feature for the 'Trapezoid Envelope VCA' and 'Voltage Controlled Envelope' modules.

Currently, both EGs will drop to zero volts on receipt of a new gate input signal. This leads to an abrupt discontinuity in the output voltage, as shown:
TrapezoidRTZ.png
TrapezoidRTZ.png (151.62 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
VCEnvelopeRTZ.png
VCEnvelopeRTZ.png (242.61 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
I have displayed a trace of the output from mENV alongside, to demonstrate a smooth transition from the Release phase into the new Attack phase. Would it be possible to add an optional configuration setting for these envelopes, such that they can perform a smooth transition, rather than an immediate Reset To Zero? I know that this change could potentially affect patches already created, so the default behaviour should remain RTZ for backwards compatibility. However, a switch or setting which could override this behaviour would be fantastic.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a total Single Issue Fanatic about RTZ envelopes. My tastes are very singular! :oops: I also realise that the majority of envelopes within the VM world default to the 'smooth transition' style of operation, so my obsession is well catered for. I'm not too concerned about the behaviour of poly envelopes, but it would be great if you'd consider adding the option to the mono ones. VCE in particular is SO VERY CLOSE to being The Last Envelope I'll Ever Need. 8-)
mib.jpg
mib.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
Thanks,
Grant

Re: FR: Non-Return-To-Zero on Trapezoid and VC Envelope

Post by AndyMac »

Apologies for not replying to this sooner - I must admit that I don't often check the forums and have only just seen this as I tend to have emails sent via my website with issues and suggestions.... I will try to check more frequently from now!

This is definitely an interesting suggestion - I will have a think about it to see how I might be able to do it. I have now had a look around my modules and the other envelopes all seem to be behaving as you would like (as do the Cherry Audio ones).
Last edited by AndyMac on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

AndyMac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:55 pm I have put them both as items on my backlog to look at.
Thanks a lot, Andrew. Much appreciated!

Grant

Post by AndyMac »

Having looked at the behaviours in my other envelopes, I can see that it is specific to just these two and therefore I believe I should be able to make this fix/enhancement, adding an additional switch (somewhere on the UI, which may be the hardest challenge) for what you might call "hard vs soft" retrigger mode - defaulting to the "soft" mode for new instances but set to "hard" mode for existing presets/saves. I will probably have the initial delay behaviour the same as the micro-Envelope, where the release continues during the delay stage. So now have some detail for what is needed for my backlog :-)
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

AndyMac wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:17 pm I should be able to make this fix/enhancement, adding an additional switch (somewhere on the UI, which may be the hardest challenge)
Could you have the RTZ / NRZ switch as a configuration setting in the Module Options pop-out dialog instead? It's a bit of a pro-level feature, and not something you would necessarily want to change in real time while using a particular patch, so I don't think it belongs on the front panel inself.

That solution would be absolutely perfect in my book. It would also allow you to retain backwards compatibility in terms of both default functionality and cosmetics.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Grant

Post by AndyMac »

Hi Grant, I have now started work on trying to add a soft/hard retrigger option in the Voltage Controlled Envelope, as the underlying envelope generator that I use does provide this behaviour. It is made more complex with the stuff I overlay for delays, minimum sustain times, looping and mostly the curve control when the attack might not be starting from zero - but it is feeling like this is all doable, which will be great.

Once I have something that is looking stable and completed for this enhancement, I'll definitely be pushing it out for beta testing and it would be great if you could help testing it given that you specifically spotted this behaviour - I'll update this thread once I have a beta ready.

Joining the beta is easy enough, as is leaving it when you no longer want to have beta versions coming when I'm working on them.

I'm currently planning to get the VC Envelope completed and in beta test before starting to look at the Trapezoid Envelope - it may be I even release it first (to give people access to this useful feature).
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

AndyMac wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:37 pm I'll definitely be pushing it out for beta testing and it would be great if you could help testing it given that you specifically spotted this behaviour - I'll update this thread once I have a beta ready.
That's awesome! I'd be honoured to be a beta-tester. I've sent you a PM.

Post by utdgrant »

Just wanted to thank Andrew publically for implementing this Feature Request. The novel solution that Andrew came up with (named "Retrigger Damping") has exceeded all my expectations.

I've made a quick demo video (YouTube link) to show it in operation.

Amazing response to a user request! We're not worthy! :D

Return to “Andrew Macaulay”