Cycle Sequencing issues and fix

xones2358

Cycle Sequencing issues and fix

Post by xones2358 »

Hey. You may remember me from the other thread discussing the Cycle Seq and from the demo videos I made a while ago.

So today I finally purchased the Circular bundle along quite a bunch of other Playtron goodies.

Alrite, full ambition loaded, I recalled my patches from back then....

BUT

Something seems to be seriously off with the upated version. At least on my system, Win 10 lastest, latest VM.

The moment I put it in play (no matter if switch or by gate) it freezes the whole VM environment.
Trying to connect cables results in 10-20 second long graphic delay and glitch and in the end the cable is not connected or wrongly so.
Not only this. Also searching the VM browser or trying to add modules freezes the whole thing.
Putting the Cycle Sequencer in stop everything works and conencts as expected.

First I thought this had to do with the *custom* connections I made to the Matrix switch (as shown in those videos) enabling to patch without touching the cables. So I made a fresh patch with just a few usual connections and it is exactly the same. The moment the Circle Seq starts running everything become unstable and prone to freezing.

Oh goddess, I wish the old one back - with the tiny tiny forbidden jacks ^^ It worked smooothly.

Please, can you investigate into this and if it not resolves, maybe you can refund me just the Cycle Seq and Trig to Gate converter of the bundle - the rest I would keep anyway.

End of wheeping now.

All the best
S.
Last edited by xones2358 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
playertron

Re: Hi again, dear Tron... I am afraid there is a sirius problem with the updated Cycle Sequencer...

Post by playertron »

Oh no! Don't worry, I think we can get this fixed quickly.

On my end, I'll double check the changes for anything suspicious. There were very few serious code changes for the newer version though, so the good-ish news is that it's unlikely to be a serious issue with the module and certainly, it'd be easy enough to go back to the old version's insides with the newer GUI.

I'm afraid to ask, but this is based on a server issue I ran into before and I think it might actually be the easy fix - could you try reinstalling VM? (if something happened w/ the server, you could've ended up with a corrupt version of the module, and something like this happened once before). Also, if you think it might be a bug exposed by a particular patch, please provide the patch so I can investigate.

Sorry for the trouble! I'll try to get you up and running asap (& btw if you did want a refund, CA handles that part, so you'll have to go through them, but they are very responsive).
xones2358

Re: Hi again, dear Tron... I am afraid there is a sirius problem with the updated Cycle Sequencer...

Post by xones2358 »

Thx for your swift reply.:)
Going to try the reinstalling route...
If problem persists, I*m gonna share the patch with you.

Sorry if I did sound too dramatic^^

S.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

playertron wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:48 pm Oh no! Don't worry, I think we can get this fixed quickly.

On my end, I'll double check the changes for anything suspicious. There were very few serious code changes for the newer version though, so the good-ish news is that it's unlikely to be a serious issue with the module and certainly, it'd be easy enough to go back to the old version's insides with the newer GUI.

I'm afraid to ask, but this is based on a server issue I ran into before and I think it might actually be the easy fix - could you try reinstalling VM? (if something happened w/ the server, you could've ended up with a corrupt version of the module, and something like this happened once before). Also, if you think it might be a bug exposed by a particular patch, please provide the patch so I can investigate.

Sorry for the trouble! I'll try to get you up and running asap (& btw if you did want a refund, CA handles that part, so you'll have to go through them, but they are very responsive).
OK update:

reinstal of VM and freezing problem is still around.

patch is very simple, just try to connect the LFO underneath the other modules to the CV pitch input of the Transistor 909 Kick or try connecting another trigger from the Seq.. it all starts glitching... at least here ^^

I am on Windows 10..I tried various buffer sizes for my audio interface..no differenz
Attachments
circling bugs.voltagepreset
Circle Bug
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Last edited by xones2358 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
playertron

Post by playertron »

I'm really, really, really sorry for the issue and that I didn't find it during testing, but the good news is it's already fixed and hopefully the update will be approved quickly. Thanks for the communication and help!

Just to fill you in - along the way to the last update, I was advised to add some gui code for how the LEDs were handled, which caused the problem, so I just implemented the same result with a different process that won't incite the CPU issue. I suppose the combo of being told to make the change, testing it on a computers with plenty of CPU, and it seeming trivial led to a blindspot there, and I just feel so bad about that, but will do my best not to repeat. Sorry to all those silent suffers too!

The store doesn't provide any way to give out freebees or credits, but contact me via the email that you get when you click on the developer name in the store (at the top) and we can work out some way to make it up to you.
playertron

Post by playertron »

The update was quickly approved and everything should be working well now, but let me know if you find otherwise. Thanks again for sharing the issue.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

playertron wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:31 pm I'm really, really, really sorry for the issue and that I didn't find it during testing, but the good news is it's already fixed and hopefully the update will be approved quickly. Thanks for the communication and help!

Just to fill you in - along the way to the last update, I was advised to add some gui code for how the LEDs were handled, which caused the problem, so I just implemented the same result with a different process that won't incite the CPU issue. I suppose the combo of being told to make the change, testing it on a computers with plenty of CPU, and it seeming trivial led to a blindspot there, and I just feel so bad about that, but will do my best not to repeat. Sorry to all those silent suffers too!

The store doesn't provide any way to give out freebees or credits, but contact me via the email that you get when you click on the developer name in the store (at the top) and we can work out some way to make it up to you.
No worries. Not at all. All is cool and I will be happy once the update comes in. :)

Here is a fun track which back then emerged from the first encounter with Circle Sequencer, TET Player, Instant Pitch Fader, Note Acturator, Laser Disc as well (basically the two patches from the demo videos combined) A raw live recorded session and not a polished track and somewhere at a point of curse it melts into beloved CHAOS.. so much to keep in mind. ^^

https://neurologickthunder.bandcamp.com ... ayertron-i

I sent you an email too.. be sure to check folders.

S.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

playertron wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm The update was quickly approved and everything should be working well now, but let me know if you find otherwise. Thanks again for sharing the issue.
yum. Update arrived and problems fixed. Making noises already - THX!!! :idea:

Return to “Playertron”