Cherry Audio arpeggiator module and velocity

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Lib

Cherry Audio arpeggiator module and velocity

Post by Lib »

Hi everybody,
first post here!

I'm trying to build an arpeggiator and control its dynamic via MIDI velocity. As far as I understand this is not possible with the Cherry Audio arpeggiator module. Moreover, I couldn't find an existing module that does that. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Thank you for your help!
Lib
Steve W

Re: Cherry Audio arpeggiator module and velocity

Post by Steve W »

Lib wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm I'm trying to build an arpeggiator and control its dynamic via MIDI velocity. As far as I understand this is not possible with the Cherry Audio arpeggiator module. Moreover, I couldn't find an existing module that does that. Does anybody have any suggestion?
Hi. I just did a quick test of the basic arpeggiator to control a soft synth in a VST host. Not 100% sure if your goal is to have have the velocity sent from a note on trigger so that the trigger velocity gets sent to each note generated along with CV and gate, but if it is here's what I did. It involves basic MIDI routing from my usb keyboard to a soft synth hosted in VM. I used VM standalone.

1. MIDI to arpeggiator.
2. CV and Gate Outs from the Arpeggiator Module to the CV to MIDI Module.
3. Velocity Out (from CV Sources) to the same CV to MIDI Module.
4. MIDI Out from the CV to MIDI Module to my soft synth via VM's MIDI Host.

There may be other ways, but this was intuitive for me. Hope it helps.

BTW, I tested with an orchestral soft synth patch where for velocity > 100 in a range of bass notes, orchestral percussion plays. Also, for testing MIDI thruput within VM I rely heavily on Andrew Macauley's MIDI Display module (part of his ultimate bundle).

2021-11-25 - Velocity added to Arpeggiator.png
2021-11-25 - Velocity added to Arpeggiator.png (363.42 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Lib

Post by Lib »

Hi, and thank you for your quick and detailed answer!
I was missing the velocity out from the CV sources. However, that helps a lot but only partially solves my issue. I'd wish that when I play a chord on the keyboard controller, the individual velocities of the chord would be kept in the arpeggiated output, so that if a chord is <A vel. 100, B vel 50, C vel. 20> the output of the arpeggiator would keep those velocities for each note (including their transpositions). I don't really know though if this is possible or not.

Thanks as well for mentioning Andrew Macauley's MIDI Display module, I'll check it for sure.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Lib wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:27 pm I was missing the velocity out from the CV sources. However, that helps a lot but only partially solves my issue. I'd wish that when I play a chord on the keyboard controller, the individual velocities of the chord would be kept in the arpeggiated output, so that if a chord is <A vel. 100, B vel 50, C vel. 20> the output of the arpeggiator would keep those velocities for each note (including their transpositions). I don't really know though if this is possible or not.
I understand. In my quick test patch a new velocity set the velocity of all notes being held/arpeggiated. Not sure how I would try to develop a patch to do what you want. I have a few ideas of things to try, but no obvious quick solution. Nor am I sure if anyone else (module makers) have an arpeggiator that does that. Maybe other users know.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

That should do it:

It checks if the pitch CV output of the arp corresponds to a note on a poly channel and if so, it passes its velocity value.

Arp with velocity.voltagepreset
(25.37 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Arp with velocity.jpg
Arp with velocity.jpg (388.82 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Lib

Post by Lib »

honki-bobo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:13 pm That should do it:

It checks if the pitch CV output of the arp corresponds to a note on a poly channel and if so, it passes its velocity value.
Thank you so much for this! It works like a charm. I'm now trying to implement two features:
1. Keep the 'Octave Range' option in the arpeggiator, but I guess the only way is to compare the output of the arp with a note from the poly channel and all its potential octave transpositions.
2. as I'm using this arpeggiator to generate and send MIDI data for other VSTs (which are on different tracks than VM), I'd like to send the sustain CC through VM but I cannot find a way to do that. I can duplicate my MIDI input track and use the duplicate track to send the sustain CC only, but I'm wondering if there's a way to send it through VM.

Here's a MIDI-only version of your patch.
Attachments
Arp with velocity MIDI only with probability.jpg
Arp with velocity MIDI only with probability.jpg (362.44 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”