Voltage Modular 1.2 released! Plug-in hosting, OpenGL, and more!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Voltage Modular 1.2 released! Plug-in hosting, OpenGL, and more!

Post by Cherry Dan »

Cherry Audio is very pleased to announce the release of Voltage Modular 1.2, a major upgrade to the Voltage Modular platform. There are a host of new features available that greatly increase the speed and workflow of Voltage Modular. These new features include:
  • Hardware acceleration for much faster drawing & scrolling. Turn on OpenGL support in the preferences, and Voltage Modular will use your computer’s GPU for all of its painting, which can lead to faster scrolling and cable animations with compatible video cards. With this feature, you’ll likely see major performance improvements on Retina Display Macs, and PCs with 4K monitors. (Note: not all video cards offer hardware acceleration.)
  • Plug-in hosting. Owners of our Voltage Core package have two new modules, Plug-In Host and Mini Plug-In Host. These modules can host most 64-bit VST2, VST3, and AudioUnit plug-ins. Both modules feature MIDI in and out, 4 audio inputs, 4 audio outputs, and adjustable latency from 32 to 1024 samples. In addition, up to 12 parameters of the hosted plug-in can be automated with CV. Your favorite plug-in effects and instruments can now become part of your Voltage Modular patches!
  • Favorites icon and category. You can now mark your favorite modules as Favorites, and access them very quickly in a dedicated Favorites panel in the library.
  • Module presets. Every module can now save and load its own individual presets. Right-click on any module in Voltage Modular to save the current settings as a preset, or to instantly load a preset. You can also select the new Reset Controls feature to return a module to its default settings.
  • Right-click to add new modules. You no longer need to open the Library tab just to add a new module. Just right click on a cabinet and use the new Add Module menu to quickly access your entire module library.
  • "All But Current Jack" cable transparency mode. This new cable-transparency mode shows all cables transparently until you hover over any jack. Then, all cables connected to that jack become solid. This new mode is so useful and intuitive, we've made it the new default mode!
Voltage Modular 1.2 is available now! To download it immediately, visit your library at https://store.cherryaudio.com/my/library and download the latest Voltage Modular installer for your platform.

P.S. Note: Voltage Modular 1.2 will require you to log back in and re-download all modules the first time it runs.
Bigcat75

Re: Voltage Modular 1.2 released! Plug-in hosting, OpenGL, and more!

Post by Bigcat75 »

Awesome!! Don't forget that you also added functionality so that we now can map our User Preset directory in Settings\General to a custom location!!! This is great for those of us that have a separate mobile rig (laptop) and use an SSD to move projects and all associated files back and fourth between our mobile rig to our studio rig!!!

Great job CA!!
NothanUmber

Post by NothanUmber »

Really great update! Was thinking about using the new hosting plugins to introduce some structure into more complex patches, putting parts of the patch into a (reusable) "sub patch". Is there a way how we can access the VST parameters from inside a vst instance of VM?
So we can modulate the parameters of the host module (at audio rate), route these inputs to modules inside the vst VM instance and send back outputs? E.g. one (or several) poly input(s) and one (or several) poly output(s) on the host module with a matching pair of "vst parameter in/out" modules that can be used in the vst VM instance would be great. Then we could do sub-patching without limits! :)
Benard

Post by Benard »

This is truly awesome! The plug-in host is a game changer! It really opens up some nice options for controlling all kinds of things from VM, including being able to use all of my own modules for generative music to easily control other plug-in synths.

And it will be fun to see the reactions of the trolls that only posted negative comments every time there was something about VM on Synthopia and CDM, just saying how everything but VCV Rack is a waste of time. Now we get plug-in hosting FOR FREE, and with the beautiful interface of VM! 8-)

Great job Cherry Audio! It's great to see how quickly VM is developing, and makes me really glad that I jumped on board from the very beginning.
martb

Post by martb »

Benard wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 am This is truly awesome! The plug-in host is a game changer! It really opens up some nice options for controlling all kinds of things from VM, including being able to use all of my own modules for generative music to easily control other plug-in synths.

And it will be fun to see the reactions of the trolls that only posted negative comments every time there was something about VM on Synthopia and CDM, just saying how everything but VCV Rack is a waste of time. Now we get plug-in hosting FOR FREE, and with the beautiful interface of VM! 8-)

Great job Cherry Audio! It's great to see how quickly VM is developing, and makes me really glad that I jumped on board from the very beginning.
Very much agree with all of that - It's a great update! :D
rod

Post by rod »

Amazing release with great possibilities.

However with the VST plugin hosting I'm finding that in VM stand alone, when I show the plugin it appears in a tiny size in a corner of a much larger mostly empty window making it far too small to be of practical value.

When I use the VM as a plugin and host VSTs the hosted plugin within VM appears in normal size when I show it.

I'm on Windows 10, with a 4K display. It's the same with opengl on or off and the same with vst2 and vst3.

The opengl acceleration is great on my system which is Lenovo with an Nvidia GPU.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

rod wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 pm However with the VST plugin hosting I'm finding that in VM stand alone, when I show the plugin it appears in a tiny size in a corner of a much larger mostly empty window making it far too small to be of practical value.
That's very interesting. Can you post a picture of what you're seeing? Do you see this with every plug-in?

Thanks,
Dan
rod

Post by rod »

Kontakt.JPG
Kontakt.JPG (207.67 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
Kontakt in VM stand alone
rod

Post by rod »

SH101.jpg
SH101.jpg (220.77 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
SH101 in stand alone
rod

Post by rod »

VM.jpg
VM.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
VM in VM stand alone. Self-hosting but tiny!
Last edited by rod on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Voltage Modular”