[Feature Request] - Shorter A D R rates for Envelope module

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
lalo

[Feature Request] - Shorter A D R rates for Envelope module

Post by lalo »

Somtimes (for percussive, very aggressive sounds) a 0ms time is just what's needed.
Let's make the minimum value 0ms, because even if it seems strange 2ms sometimes are too much ;-)
cherryMitch

Re: [Feature Request] - Shorter A D R rates for Envelope module

Post by cherryMitch »

lalo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm Somtimes (for percussive, very aggressive sounds) a 0ms time is just what's needed.
Let's make the minimum value 0ms, because even if it seems strange 2ms sometimes are too much ;-)
Like most other ADSR envelope generators, our standard Envelope Generator minimum values don't go to zero because you end up with a lot of clicks (we initially had it programmed this way), which is usually annoying for musical sounds, that's why it "only" goes down to 2ms. But as you mention, the DC "click" is often desirable when making analog drum and percussion sounds.

Our Perc EG is exactly what you want; it was made specifically for creating impactful drum and percussion sounds:

- The CLICK button does exactly what I described above - engaging it makes the attack time 0ms, so you'll hear clicks. Turning it off makes the attack time 2ms to eliminate clicking.

- No attack knob, because you always want instant attack for drum sounds.

- Unlike our standard EG, it always free runs to the end regardless of gate length

- The ATTACK HOLD control keeps amplitude at full blast for up to 250ms

- The DECAY CURVE control gives really fine control over the shape of the envelope.

perc.jpg
perc.jpg (15.16 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
Hedgemunkees

Post by Hedgemunkees »

Good info to know
lalo

Post by lalo »

cherryMitch wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 am
lalo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm Somtimes (for percussive, very aggressive sounds) a 0ms time is just what's needed.
Like most other ADSR envelope generators, our standard Envelope Generator minimum values don't go to zero because you end up with a lot of clicks (we initially had it programmed this way), which is usually annoying for musical sounds, that's why it "only" goes down to 2ms. But as you mention, the DC "click" is often desirable when making analog drum and percussion sounds.

Our Perc EG is exactly what you want; it was made specifically for creating impactful drum and percussion sounds:

- The CLICK button does exactly what I described above - engaging it makes the attack time 0ms, so you'll hear clicks. Turning it off makes the attack time 2ms to eliminate clicking.

- No attack knob, because you always want instant attack for drum sounds.

- Unlike our standard EG, it always free runs to the end regardless of gate length

- The ATTACK HOLD control keeps amplitude at full blast for up to 250ms

- The DECAY CURVE control gives really fine control over the shape of the envelope.

perc.jpg
Thanks. BTW I think that an attack time added would be useful for pseudo-reverse effects. And sometimes a very clicky attack can be useful for bass or synths sounds. Goin' to do my envelopes when Module Designer is out ;-)
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

By all means, have at it if you'd like to make your own EG modules. What I didn't mention before is that I designed the Perc EG specifically for development of the Electro Drums 808/909 modules (all drum modules were originally created as patches in Voltage Modular, then "hard-coded" into single modules), so the feature set really was customized for what I needed.

We'll definitely be creating a full-featured "kitchen-sink" EG soon, and we'll consider adding a "click" button to allow 0ms attack and release times. Hopefully we don't get a zillion complaints about clicking from people who don't understand what happens if you instantly open a VCA when a waveform signal isn't at a zero-crossing! :D
lalo

Post by lalo »

cherryMitch wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm By all means, have at it if you'd like to make your own EG modules. What I didn't mention before is that I designed the Perc EG specifically for development of the Electro Drums 808/909 modules (all drum modules were originally created as patches in Voltage Modular, then "hard-coded" into single modules), so the feature set really was customized for what I needed.

We'll definitely be creating a full-featured "kitchen-sink" EG soon, and we'll consider adding a "click" button to allow 0ms attack and release times. Hopefully we don't get a zillion complaints about clicking from people who don't understand what happens if you instantly open a VCA when a waveform signal isn't at a zero-crossing! :D
:D great!

Return to “Voltage Modular”