Sound is reduced when two adjacent notes are played

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
sadib

Sound is reduced when two adjacent notes are played

Post by sadib »

when I play two adjacent sustained notes one after the other the sound seems to be muffled rather than two adjacent notes that have space between them.What's wrong here?

P.S: I've added some pics.Have a look
Attachments
The midi
The midi
PS-20.png (1006.54 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
My Setting
My Setting
Muffle.png (39.67 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
huggermugger

Re: Sound is reduced when two adjacent notes are played

Post by huggermugger »

Easy Fix - Set TRIG MODE to Multi.

Explanation - Looks like EG2 is controlling your LPF cutoff frequency, and you're in MONO mode. The MIDI notes that are separated by gaps cause EG2 to retrigger properly when the next note is played. But with the two notes adjacent, in Single TRIG MODE, the second note doesn't retrigger EG2 because there's probably a very short overlap, or the second note begins exactly when the first note ends. So even though there are two notes, PS20 interprets them as one long keypress. On PS20, the TRIG MODE Multi setting solves this problem by retriggering EG2 every time you play a new note, regardless of overlap. On a synth that doesn't have TRIG MODE options, you would solve the problem by shortening the first note just a tiny bit - you need at least a tiny gap between the two notes so the EG2 can retrigger.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.40.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.40.20 AM.png (90.9 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Yeah, sometimes quantizing the notes helps with this type of issue. (Gets rid if tiny overlaps).
sadib

Post by sadib »

huggermugger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm Easy Fix - Set TRIG MODE to Multi.

Explanation - Looks like EG2 is controlling your LPF cutoff frequency, and you're in MONO mode. The MIDI notes that are separated by gaps cause EG2 to retrigger properly when the next note is played. But with the two notes adjacent, in Single TRIG MODE, the second note doesn't retrigger EG2 because there's probably a very short overlap, or the second note begins exactly when the first note ends. So even though there are two notes, PS20 interprets them as one long keypress. On PS20, the TRIG MODE Multi setting solves this problem by retriggering EG2 every time you play a new note, regardless of overlap. On a synth that doesn't have TRIG MODE options, you would solve the problem by shortening the first note just a tiny bit - you need at least a tiny gap between the two notes so the EG2 can retrigger.
Hey man thanks. I'll check right away
sadib

Post by sadib »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm Yeah, sometimes quantizing the notes helps with this type of issue. (Gets rid if tiny overlaps).
I'm sorry but everytimg the whole envelope seems to be going whacked when playing adjacent chords( Despite setting trig in multi).Specially if two midi clips are side by side. Sometimes if I'm playing chords one after the another,the envelope doesn't retrig( This happens even with adjacent midi clip). Is this a bug or something
Attachments
Adjacent midi
Adjacent midi
overlapping_LI.jpg (323.63 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
Last edited by sadib on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sadib

Post by sadib »

huggermugger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm Easy Fix - Set TRIG MODE to Multi.

Dude even if I hit the multi,this seems to have no effect on adjacent chords being played.The envelope doesn't freaking retrig when closely adjacent. IDK if this is bug or something
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Does it happen with the un-modified Punchy Saw Bass preset?

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Oh, wait a second - what preset is that? I don't have "Punchy Saw Bass" here.
sadib

Post by sadib »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 pm Oh, wait a second - what preset is that? I don't have "Punchy Saw Bass" here.
It's a custom preset I've made. Here I've added all the preset I've made. All of them yields the same result.

Let me know if that's a bug or I'm doing something wrong
Attachments
Sadib Dream Hall.ps20preset
Lead
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Sadib Dream Hall 2.ps20preset
Lead
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Punchy Saw Bass.ps20preset
Bass Preset
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”