Voltage Modular + NDRL = happy happy joy joy

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Doc Joe

Voltage Modular + NDRL = happy happy joy joy

Post by Doc Joe »

Hi folks,

Time to show off a little. I love the NDLR, a hardware generative sequencer with four control channels (Pad, Drone, and two Motifs). It's just lovely when connected to Voltage, and especially sweet when connected to four PS-20s via Voltage hosts! Seriously old-school fun. I LOVE the PS-20! LOVE IT!

However, I wanted to have Voltage CVs control the NDLR to get more opportunities for generative music. So I create four modules to drive the NDRL while it in turn drives Voltage via MIDI: a player controller, a pad controller, a drone controller and a motif controller (that be selected to control either Mofit 1 or 2). Almost every aspect of the NDRL can now be controlled by these four modules, and in turn, every element of the controllers can be controlled by CV (0-5v).

This greatly expands on the NDLR's built in LFOs, plus implement all manner of other features, such as glacial glides, sync'ed rhythm, chord progressions, etc. More demos on that later. But for now, here's the introduction to the Voltage controllers as they currently stand.

https://youtu.be/-5IBSlhNYNY

Enjoy!
tgrey

Re: Voltage Modular + NDRL = happy happy joy joy

Post by tgrey »

"I don't think you're happy enough!" :D

That was really cool, good demo and nice job writing the control modules!

I won't lie, it makes me want one a little bit too... :lol: There's so much potential here!
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Thanks for that beautiful demo. Basically that's the kind of music, I plan to use VM for.
Doc Joe

Post by Doc Joe »

Good plan! VM is addictive.

If you plan to create generative music, I highly recommend Weevil's and Bernard's bundles, as they have amazingly useful modules for "controlled chaos". Plus Weevil's Rhythm Divider is gold, and Bernard's Glacial glides are perfect for those long evolving changes.
Also, MRB's Tiny Voice bundle is an absolute workhorse for filling out motif filigree. Infact, anything MRB makes sounds glorious.
Finally, don't forget the VM host and mini host modules to connect in those big, bad VST synths and drum machines. Hooking a PS-20 into a host, then applying a semi random source to a slooooow sample and hold and glacial glide, and applying that cv to the PS-20s highpass / lowpass filter cutoffs, peaks and drive is... freaking amazing. The most texture rich sonic weirdness you'll have all day! Seriously, check it out.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Your NDRL device seems to contain everything, what is needed for generative music. It's a very nice "toy". I did not know about it before.

Modular synthesis is really a very nice playing ground. That's why I began to create my own modules with VMD.
Next year I will get pension and I hope to have enough time then for my music project.
I'm already thinking about a larger PC screen in order to manage all VSTs, modules and hosts. :)

Roland
Doc Joe

Post by Doc Joe »

Agree. Screen real estate is much needed when the synths get big. I use dual screens as I am too cheep to buy a top end 4k curved screen. Drool.
But most important thing is RAM and numver of cores. VM2 runs hot and heavy when its fully loaded up with generative goodness.
As for time to play, I am giving myself 45min a day in my diary for music and learning. :)

Return to “Voltage Modular”