Problems with Remote Control in Logic Pro

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
wavemechanic

Problems with Remote Control in Logic Pro

Post by wavemechanic »

Remote Control is really useful for controlling knobs that don't have VC. However, when I use a switch to halt VC feeding a Remote Control item (say from modwheel), the Initial Value resets every time the source VC is disabled (annoying) or Logic's song file is reloaded, breaking the position that was last saved with the song file. This is a big problem for me. I'm interested in any suggestion to stop that from happening.
wavemechanic

Re: Problems with Remote Control in Logic Pro

Post by wavemechanic »

I'm realizing that I wish Remote Control sent relative values and did require an Initial Value setting.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

wavemechanic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:18 am I'm realizing that I wish Remote Control sent relative values and did require an Initial Value setting.
I don't have Logic Pro and I am not following what you are trying to do but is sounds like an issue I might run into one of these days with a Different DAW. (I am unclear if its a Logic Pro issue, a VM patch design issue, or something that is common to all uses of Remote Control.

I tried re-reading your post. Can you give an example or two of the kinds of modules with knobs but w/o control voltage inputs having this issue?
Last edited by Steve W on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

wavemechanic wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:28 pm Remote Control is really useful for controlling knobs that don't have VC. However, when I use a switch to halt VC feeding a Remote Control item (say from modwheel), the Initial Value resets every time the source VC is disabled (annoying) or Logic's song file is reloaded, breaking the position that was last saved with the song file. This is a big problem for me. I'm interested in any suggestion to stop that from happening.
Trying to understand this. Not 100% sure, but let me try:
Remote Control [that is, MIDI Learned from gear external to VM] is really useful for controlling knobs [in VM modules] that don't have VC [that is, that can't be controlled internally/within VM by control voltages].
(Do I understand this correctly?)

However, when I use a switch [module in VM] in to halt VC feeding [from] a Remote Control item [that is, from an external MIDI source] (say from modwheel) . . .

. . . the Initial Value [coming from the external hardware] resets [within VM] every time the source VC is disabled [by using a switch module] . . .

. . . or Logic's song file is reloaded, breaking the position that was last saved with the song file.
(I have never had VM reload song files into my DAW so I have no idea what this means.)

I am interested in understanding this because I use both external and internal controls and finding a solution might help me do things somewhere down the road.
Last edited by Steve W on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

No, I'm not referring to anything outside of voltage. When I say VC, I mean any voltage source that is controlling Remote Control. Remote Control forces us to set a default value called Initial Value, which it returns to when no voltage is coming in to that Control item or at rest. I'd rather it didn't. I wan it to return to whatever the target was set to before it was introduced.

In the meantime, I've removed all but one of the controls and dealt with modulation another way.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

wavemechanic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:51 am No, I'm not referring to anything outside of voltage. When I say VC, I mean any voltage source that is controlling Remote Control.
It makes more sense now to me. You are talking specifically about the Remote Control module as opposed to remote control in general. Thanks for the clarification.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

Steve W wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 am It makes more sense now to me. You are talking specifically about the Remote Control module as opposed to remote control in general. Thanks for the clarification.
Yes. Thanks for coaxing me to speak more plainly.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

wavemechanic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 am Yes. Thanks for coaxing me to speak more plainly.
It helped me, too! I had tried the Remote Control module before but didn't get far. So, tonight I recreated the patch/effect in the video linked in the module's Help page (lfo to make the cutoff frequency in two filters oscillate in different directions).

Sure enough, when I disconnected the lfo control voltage cable, the remote control value jumped immediately to the initial value as opposed to retaining the value at the time of the disconnection (basically simulating an on/off switch).
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

Ultimately, I need a version of Remote Control that does not have an Initial Value but rather makes a relative change to the current value. In general, this would be a lot more useful.

Return to “Voltage Modular”