"Hide Manufacturers" function in store suggestion

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
nkf

Re: "Hide Manufacturers" function in store suggestion

Post by nkf »

Nrgzr78 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm
The fact is that I make modules that I wanted to have with some graphic too for my pleasure first and then there's the possibility to sell/share it.
Plus this is a challenge for me to understand and learn more about DSP and code programming I've always been passionate about it but had no chance to be supported by anyone to achieve such things but Cherry Audio created an amazing app designer that brought to me infinite joy to make one of my dreams come true.
We understand your challenges, your pleasures, your stories etc., while not really interested in them.
It was just a question to Cherry Audio to be so kind giving us a hide manufacturer button. Disabling all the others is too cumbersome, just because one developer with all his challenges, pleasures ... is flooding the shop with his flashy designed "learn more about DSP" results. It just comes across to banal and makes it more tedious to find the relevant stuff.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

nkf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 pm We understand your challenges, your pleasures, your stories etc., while not really interested in them.
It was just a question to Cherry Audio to be so kind giving us a hide manufacturer button. Disabling all the others is too cumbersome, just because one developer with all his challenges, pleasures ... is flooding the shop with his flashy designed "learn more about DSP" results. It just comes across to banal and makes it more tedious to find the relevant stuff.
:D +1

marltetz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 pm It's a problem on display of shop website, not on Nrgzr78.
Well, a little bit though ...

Nrgzr78, you made a point in that CA is making some money too, i didn't think about that.

Where i think you are mistaken is that :

1/ You say " there are filters on the webstore so what's the problem...??"
Well, this is actually what this post is about, there is no filter button per se ! :roll:
Checking all the boxes but the dev i want to filter is tedious because the page does not remember the setting.
As suggested by Haslo, you can bookmark the page state in your browser, however, a simple hide dev button near each dev. would be so much more convenient and be less repellent for a newcomer and potential user of VM .
But since you ask "what's the problem ...??", there is another one, actually, see 3/ :mrgreen:

2/ Then you say "I accept critics with no regret, but people use to talk without knowing of who are talking about".
We know what we are talking about : we would like a filter button, that's all !
The fact that you are mentioned is a consequence of that.
We "talk without knowing what (we) talk about" ?? ...Are you serious ? How are we supposed to know or care about your motivations ?
Is there some introduction/bio that we missed ?

3/Filter or not, post subject or not, and despite your passion for modular (are there non passionate devs ?? :roll: ), i think it's a little bit egoistic to flood the store like this, for self educational purposes, while some people dedicate a lot of time to release QUALITY modules that are likely to be almost unnoticed by some newcomer/potential buyer.

I wish you luck in becoming a great developer, appreciate that you take critics in a gentleman way, but please don't say we don't know what we are talking about, we are talking about the modules/bundles page in the store, not about your private life, or motivations, ok ?
We talk about what we see as customers/users, no more, no less.

Ok, i'll stop here, i don't want to endlessly argue.
Like you say, i'm gonna have a creative day and be happy for what's out there now.

Bye Bye and Good Luck, i'm out to the fields. ;)
Last edited by xuoham on Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickh

Post by nickh »

Nrgzr78 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 pm
marltetz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 pm Problem is that we can easily miss some small amount of new modules from some manufacturers by releasing large amount of new modules from others.
It's an problem on display of shop website, not on Nrgzr78.

Putting "Manufacturer" column on the Discover page of the shop can be another possible solution? (manufacturers having new/updated modules are shown first)?
The big problem is still on CA's webstore, if in the search box you write "oscillator", it doesn't show all of the existing oscillator category items but just those modules that have "oscillator" as part of the modules' title...same for other kind of keywords.

As I mentioned to CA, the keywords as they work well for Voltage Modular app should be working the same for the webstore...

Ex. Have a look at the pictures, "oscillator" keyword on CA's webstore and the other from VM.

Oscillator_keyword_Webstore.png

VM

Oscillator_keyword_VM.png
+1, I wish the site had a categorical filter similar to the manufacturer filter.
Last edited by nickh on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andro

Post by andro »

Where is 2.2.4 coming from? I see this in the picture in a post here.
andro

Post by andro »

+1 for this suggestion please.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

xuoham wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 am
nkf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 pm We understand your challenges, your pleasures, your stories etc., while not really interested in them.

marltetz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 pm It's a problem on display of shop website, not on Nrgzr78.
Well, a little bit though ...

Nrgzr78, you made a point in that CA is making some money too, i didn't think about that.

Where i think you are mistaken is that :

1/ You say " there are filters on the webstore so what's the problem...??"
Well, this is actually what this post is about, there is no filter button per se ! :roll:
Checking all the boxes but the dev i want to filter is tedious because the page does not remember the setting.
As suggested by Haslo, you can bookmark the page state in your browser, however, a simple hide dev button near each dev. would be so much more convenient and be less repellent for a newcomer and potential user of VM .
But since you ask "what's the problem ...??", there is another one, actually, see 3/ :mrgreen:

2/ Then you say "I accept critics with no regret, but people use to talk without knowing of who are talking about".
We know what we are talking about : we would like a filter button, that's all !
The fact that you are mentioned is a consequence of that.
We "talk without knowing what (we) talk about" ?? ...Are you serious ? How are we supposed to know or care about your motivations ?
Is there some introduction/bio that we missed ?

3/Filter or not, post subject or not, and despite your passion for modular (are there non passionate devs ?? :roll: ), i think it's a little bit egoistic to flood the store like this, for self educational purposes, while some people dedicate a lot of time to release QUALITY modules that are likely to be almost unnoticed by some newcomer/potential buyer.

I wish you luck in becoming a great developer, appreciate that you take critics in a gentleman way, but please don't say we don't know what we are talking about, we are talking about the modules/bundles page in the store, not about your private life, or motivations, ok ?
We talk about what we see as customers/users, no more, no less.

Ok, i'll stop here, i don't want to endlessly argue.
Like you say, i'm gonna have a creative day and be happy for what's out there now.

Bye Bye and Good Luck, i'm out to the fields. ;)

AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

As a developer myself, I can see both sides of this discussion - so rather than making this about any specific developer (which it does feel like now), and having read the whole thread, I do think that a couple of the ideas talked about are definitely worth making as really good suggestions for Cherry Audio to improve the store experience for users whilst also helping ensure fairness to all old and new developers:
  1. highlighting new modules/bundles BY developer/manufacturer (i.e. one item for any number of new modules by a developer over the past n days) rather than individual modules/bundles currently shown, with a count if there is more than one new item and the item linking to the full list of new modules or bundles for that developer - I think that this would provide a more balanced approach for everyone and would remove the challenge that sometimes happens when any developer launches a range of new modules (which I tend to do as well, when I do a new release of my modules) at the same time as a new developer might launch their first module - which then might be somewhat hidden by the others.
    • improving the browsing/searching of modules/bundles in the store and providing users more control over their browsing of the store, with the following ideas:
      1. making sure that searches include modules not just by the term being found in the name but also found in the modules formal category
      2. allowing the user's selections of manufacturer filters (and other preferences like sort order, etc.) to be saved between sessions (maybe an option for the user to "save as default")
      3. filtering and/or browsing of modules using the module category, although I do know that the category can be suboptimal for some module types (having the option
    In summary, this all feels like growing pains for the store, and even though some people may find some of the store's behaviours sub optimal or even annoying, I think that on balance the growth of the modules available in the store is a massive positive - as is the number of new developers who have been coming on stream recently.
    Extrajazz

Post by Extrajazz »

Since it is tedious to display all but one developer via the checkboxes in the store, I can only support the demand for an extra button for this or more advances filter methods.

As a reasonably experienced user of the store of Cherry Audio with a rough orientation, what is offered and what has quality, I can handle it. But the concern for me in connection with this flood of modules by one developer is that newcomers to the topic of Voltage Modular, can be overwhelmed here and can get the impression that the quality of the modules for Voltage Modular is not so good.

Much is indeed redundant in Nrgzr78's offering and can also be found so similar by Cherry Audio itself or other third-party manufacturers. In VCV Rack, the majority of these modules would be free to get as they are quite basic and, with a few exceptions, not particularly original or useful in the sense that I can't achieve the same with the basic modules.

I suspect the dilemma Cherry Audio is in here, as their strategy is correctly to encourage as many developers as possible to create new modules for Voltage Modular. They have a quality control - but I would be happy if this would also affect the documentation of the modules, a problem that does not only affect Nrgzr78. If this quality control is passed it would of course be unfair to restrict the release in the store just because there are so many not so interesting for - yes who? - experienced users...

I like to recommend Voltage Modular especially to newcomers to the modular world at every opportunity, but what can I say about the situation? First click all the checkboxes in the store, except Nrgzr78's, so you don't get confused by modules you probably don't need?
    Rockky

Post by Rockky »

One other possibility - if implementing a 'hide manufacturer' option is a sticky point, perhaps a 'select all' option to tick all the checkboxes that would then allow users to deselect whichever manufacturers they wish.
    This may be simpler for Cherry Audio to implement and would mean a user could deselect results from a manufacturer from the store in just 2 clicks and no requirement to store the user's 'unwanted manufacturers' list somehow against their profile.
    doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

I largely agree with all the above, so +1.

Return to “Voltage Modular”