Pricing Model Suggestions

For issues related to the Cherry Audio store and the Sync product management application
NothanUmber

Pricing Model Suggestions

Post by NothanUmber »

Have seen that the Voltage Modular Software is now offered for $0 in the store - so I assume instead of buying the base bundle for 150$ people can now alternatively pick and choose?

Sounds like an interesting option - for very specific scenarios where only a hand full of modules is needed, otherwise the base bundle is always more attractive. Currently the divergence between the reasonable bundle price and the individual modules price is imho too bizarre though (150$ vs 1600$+ (estimated as 20$*80, not calculated).

Have been brainstorming about options how to get to solutions that might sound viable to both sides:

1) Reduce prices so far that the bundle is a discounted variant of a la carte, not another universe. E.g. (didn't count) let's assume we have 50 trivial bread'n'butter utilities, 20 more elaborated modules and 10 sophisticated filters/oscs/effects in the base bundle, and let's assume the individual modules would cost $1, $5 and $10 in the three complexity classes, then buying the entire base bundle a la carte would cost 50*$1+20*$5+10*$10=$250 - compared to $150 for the bundle. That would imho sound about right. (Having the lowest imaginable price of $0 for the base program maximizes the per-module price that way while still staying in reasonable realms).

2) The initial module prices are as high as they currently are, but get discounted by 0.25% for every dollar already spent on the store, down to a minimum of $1 per module. So if you have already spent $400 any additional module is $1 from there on. That way people still pay CA and the external devs good money for their work - but with a reasonable upper bound regarding TCO. That would additionally increase the incentive for devs to write outstanding modules - the very first modules each and everybody buys would be the ones that bring most money.

3) like 2., but the discount increases faster, by 1% per dollar spent, so the $1 per module level would already be reached after $100. But each month the discount would go down by 10% again. So on average people would spend about $120+ per year to stay "up to date".

4) Base price of $300 for VM + Module Designer, yearly upgrades for about $100. People can upload self-made modules, but not ask for money - everything in the library can be downloaded by all owners (so it's essentially a user library like for Reaktor&Co that over time will be the reason why you want to buy into the system, but not make money per module).

I personally would prefer option 4 by a huge margin - but might also be able to live with 1-3.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Pricing Model Suggestions

Post by Cherry Garcia »

NothanUmber,

You are correct. Voltage Modular is now free to download and use. We thought about it awhile and decided that it was a good idea. Unfortunately, we can't go with #4. Our model is a platform and we are working with various partners like PSP, Vult, Autodafe and more. We are going to have some more streamlined and cheaper bundles, probably...I mean... we are working on those. (The main issue is the presets and the modules they rely on)

Thanks for your feedback, though. I appreciate it.
NothanUmber

Post by NothanUmber »

Not too many third party module contributions yet. If CA would consider to switch to an "option 4" approach, then I am confident an arrangement could be found that everybody would be happy with.
student9v

Post by student9v »

I bought a PSP package, because buying each module for $ 10-20-30 is expensive.
Therefore, in the future I will only buy packages, or wait for sales.

Return to “Cherry Audio Store”