DAW Tempo sync

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Hedgemunkees

DAW Tempo sync

Post by Hedgemunkees »

Using Reason.

Load up Voltage as a plug in, load a beat patch, once I havre connected play and stop CV the transport controls Voltage start and stop....all good.

However if I change the Tempo on my DAW, Voltage does not change and I have to set it manually (which is ok as long as i know the BPRM) would be nice if the tempo is changed in my DAW and it is automatically modified in modular.....is this a possible easy fix for the next release?
cherryMitch

Re: DAW Tempo sync

Post by cherryMitch »

Hedgemunkees wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 am Using Reason.

Load up Voltage as a plug in, load a beat patch, once I have connected play and stop CV the transport controls Voltage start and stop....all good.

However if I change the Tempo on my DAW, Voltage does not change and I have to set it manually (which is ok as long as i know the BPRM) would be nice if the tempo is changed in my DAW and it is automatically modified in modular.....is this a possible easy fix for the next release?
You need to use a Sync Divider patched from the IO Panel SYNC OUT jack to a Sync Divider module, then run its CLOCK OUT jack to the CLOCK IN of whatever sequencer you're using in the patch (enable the EXT CLOCK button). Also, make sure to patch a cable from the IO Panel PLAY jack to the Sync Divider RESET, or else it'll play "shifted" from the one in Reason. (Have a look at the enclosed screenshot.)
sync.jpg
sync.jpg (172.88 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
If you do this, it'll always sync to host project tempo; the only caveat is that it will probably get off a bit if you change the tempo while it's playing- stopping and starting your DAW will lock the tempo back. This is sort of inherent to the way the 96 PPQN sync signal works, it's not a defect in Voltage Modular.

(FYI, I'm not a programmer so I can't say for sure, but I don't think it's possible on our end to program Voltage Modular to just automatically follow host tempo. I'll inquire with the programmers though.)
Last edited by cherryMitch on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedgemunkees

Post by Hedgemunkees »

Excellant solution, will give it a go
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

This is something that really would be appreciated if it can be done - having the DAW tempo available to all modules so that the sequencers AND ALSO things like LFOs can be sync'd to the DAW as a feature directly available to the modules (and for developers to use in building modules). I know that this is not as flexible as having the sync divider option (which you should also keep) but would make designing sounds for use in DAWs much easier.
antic604

Post by antic604 »

cherryMitch wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:53 pmor else it'll play "shifted" from the one in Reason
Does VM work for you in Reason?

Which version are you on and which OS? For me - Reason 10.1 and Win10 - the plugin is crashing already at the scan process when Reason is starting.
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

I haven't personally tried it in Reason, but I believe the programmers have (and I'm pretty sure we have end-users running Reason). I'm not sure if the right person will see this on the forum, so please contact support@cherryaudio.com and they'll help you out.

Return to “Voltage Modular”