FM beast #2 : "Drunk Bonobos & Empty Bottles"

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
xuoham

FM beast #2 : "Drunk Bonobos & Empty Bottles"

Post by xuoham »

Continuing the "FM + gritty filter" series modular synthesizer noodling.

This time Cherry Audio's FM Station
+ their nasty super real VCF-20
(I used to own a Korg MS20 and this filter is sooo close !)
+ MRB's Low Pass Gate (not showing the full potential here).

And of course the indispensable two guys for me : Remote Control and Macro CV.

Last but not least, the conductor: Tetsuo Maruyama's Vari Step Sequencer !

The video is long, just to catch all the little quirks and burps this beast has to let go.

Background percussion is programmed with sounds from Melda's MDrummer.

https://youtu.be/0VnAmlGfqag
schoekah

Re: FM beast #2 : "Drunk Bonobos & Empty Bottles"

Post by schoekah »

Great stuff!
(Hey, what does that Macro CV do? - thanks!)
xuoham

Re: FM beast #2 : "Drunk Bonobos & Empty Bottles"

Post by xuoham »

Thanks ! The Macro CV is connected to the FM operators' "Fine Freq" and "Freq/Ratio" CV. So i can randomize the FM timbres until i find one i like.
On this patch, half of it is useless because only the fine tune CV works. The "Freq/Ratio" CV input does not respond to CV , as cleverly explained by CA :

" Freq/Ratio control bar, CV input and attenuator- This really a fancy name for pitch. These are tuned to the standard harmonic series of even overtones. They go from 0.25 of the base pitch all the way up to the 32nd overtone. It's unlikely you'll use the higher values as basic oscillator tones, but they higher values are intended for use as modulator sources, and they're the key to getting the signature FM bell-type sounds.

Unlike standard oscillators, the freq/ratio CV mod input isn't used for vibrato; remember that this is actually a phase modulation input, so it won't behave as expected if you patch a low-frequency oscillator or DC voltage source into it (such as a keyboard pitch CV). The main thing you'll use it for is "manually" routing the output of a modulator operator, but remember this is only necessary if the algorithm you've chosen doesn't already contian a pre-wired mod routing path.

Fine freq control bar, CV input and attenuator- This acts as a detune control with a range of up or down one octave, and default position at center. The CV input allows control via CV. This is a bipolar control with the middle position representing zero. Negative CV control decreases as the knob is dialed to the left; positive CV control increases as the knob is dialed to the right.
"

Return to “Voltage Modular”