Voice Assign section fault?

DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer.
Arbasson

Voice Assign section fault?

Post by Arbasson »

Hi there,

Using DCO-106 as a plugin with Reason Studios Suite 11 and as stand alone.

Before the update the number of voices in Voice Assign was malfunctioning on and off. So, sometimes I could change the amount of polyphony and other times I could not. Now, after the update it is stuck on mono but displaying 16 notes in dull red colour meaning I can't use it, it's dead.

I can click the chorus button in Voice Assign and that kind of reacts to the mouse but it starts flashing and I can't turn the flashing off. Next to that is POLY 1-2 buttons and I click on them and get no response, same goes for the MONO and UNI buttons, no response.

Portamento button can go on and off but the portamento effect is not working. Everything is MONO, gah!

Still, I'm having no issues elsewhere or I haven't noticed any so that's a positive but unfortunately I can't really use this synth.
seth

Re: Voice Assign section fault?

Post by seth »

Arbasson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 am Before the update the number of voices in Voice Assign was malfunctioning on and off. So, sometimes I could change the amount of polyphony and other times I could not. Now, after the update it is stuck on mono but displaying 16 notes in dull red colour meaning I can't use it, it's dead.
Yup, same issue here. I opened a support ticket yesterday but haven't heard back yet. Interestingly, the arpeggiator is seeing all the keys you hold down but the synth engine will only play in mono mode. Also, tried it with two different MIDI keyboards, and in both Logic Pro 10.5 as a plug-in and standalone.

I'm using version 1.0.17 build 24 in macOS 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019).
seth

Post by seth »

Arbasson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 am Everything is MONO, gah!
They just answered me. The immediate solution is to turn off MPE mode at the bottom of the interface preferences. I'm using a LinnStrument so I had this turned on, although it didn't seem to be an issue with older versions. Once I unchecked the box things returned to "normal," although now I have questions about the MPE implementation but that can wait for another day. Here's what the online user guide says:
IMPORTANT: If MPE mode is enabled, you must use a MPE controller set to ”Lower Mode” to achieve full MIDI control. If you're using a non-MPE MIDI Controller, or the QWERTY Musical Typing keyboard, only one mono voice will trigger.
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... e-settings

So far I've been unable to find out what Lower Mode is through my 10 seconds of google searching but that also can wait until tomorrow. Not thrilled by this but I'm glad to have all the voices back and can live without MPE in the meantime. The LinnStrument manual didn't mention Lower Mode. I also have a Sensel Morph but I didn't check their manual yet and I haven't used it with the DCO-106. May try that tomorrow just for fun.

So bottom line is that it's not a bug but it's still a tiny bit lame. In a sense the update "broke" it, although to be fair it *is* in the manual. Looks like more research will be needed, so in a sense I have homework now. Thanks, Cherry Audio! LOL
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi Seth,
seth wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 am line is that it's not a bug but it's still a tiny bit lame. In a sense the update "broke" it, although to be fair it *is* in the manual. Looks like more research will be needed, so in a sense I have homework now. Thanks, Cherry Audio! LOL
I'm sorry, but the DCO-106 has always worked this way, and MPE has not changed in any updates. There's no way around it - with MPE mode enabled, MIDI notes are designed to come in on different MIDI channels. If you use a conventional keyboard controller, it will only send notes on a single MIDI channel, so it can only control one voice.

When you want to use your MPE controller, just turn on MPE mode.

Regarding "Lower" Mode, this is standard MPE stuff. As explained here: https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... at-is-mpe-

"One channel (usually Channel 1) is used for global messages – data such as preset changes and pedal positions are transmitted on this channel to apply to all notes equally. The global channel is set by the "MPE Zone." When the MPE Zone is the Lower Zone, Channel 1 is used for global messages. When the MPE Zone is Upper Zone is, Channel 16 is used for global messages."

This is pretty much always the default setup for an MPE controller.

I hope that helps!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Arbasson

Post by Arbasson »

Thank you, Seth, unclicking Enable MPE mode gave me instant poly. All sorted now, sounding lovely, I guess it was me fiddling about? :shock:

Thank you Dan for the update.

Easy ;)

Return to “DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer”