Sysex?

DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer.
hydrazoan

Sysex?

Post by hydrazoan »

Hi,

The website says that it responds to Sysex - does anyone have any more information on how please?

Is there a way to open up sysex files on my Mac, or is it just if it's hooked up to another computer or a Juno 106?

Thanks

Alex
seal58

Re: Sysex?

Post by seal58 »

Hi Alex,

I don'think that you can OPEN sysex files. Such files are use to be binary. SYSEX is used to transfer several data from / to a musical instrument. It can contain setup or sound data as sequencer data too.

Usually SYSEX can be sent or received by special software. I only know some for PC but not any for MAC.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi Alex,
hydrazoan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:07 pm The website says that it responds to Sysex - does anyone have any more information on how please?
Is there a way to open up sysex files on my Mac, or is it just if it's hooked up to another computer or a Juno 106?
If you use a Juno-106 as a MIDI controller for DCO-106, the top row of sliders, buttons, and switches all send SysEx messages when they're moved, so they can all be used to control DCO-106. Furthermore, switching patches on a Juno-106 will cause the positions of all the top-row sliders, switches, and buttons to be sent to DCO-106, so you can easily send patches from your hardware Juno-106 to the DCO-106 plug-in.

If you have a way to send SysEx data from your DAW to the plugin (some DAWs are capable of this, but many aren't), then you can send Juno-106 patch SysEx data from any source to the DCO-106. That can be a little tricky to pull off, but the DCO-106 is capable of properly receiving and interpreting all SysEx data that a Juno-106 can transmit.

I hope that helps!

Dan @ Cherry Audio
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Oh oh,
I'm afraid, I was on the wrong way. :oops:
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Cherry Dan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 pm If you use a Juno-106 as a MIDI controller for DCO-106, the top row of sliders, buttons, and switches all send SysEx messages when they're moved, so they can all be used to control DCO-106. Furthermore, switching patches on a Juno-106 will cause the positions of all the top-row sliders, switches, and buttons to be sent to DCO-106, so you can easily send patches from your hardware Juno-106 to the DCO-106 plug-in.
Dan @ Cherry Audio
The MIDI System Exclusive Book (DeFuria & Scacciaferro, Hal Leonard, 1987) has the sysex specs for the Juno-106, 106S, HS-60 V 1.0 [April 11, 1984] on pages 185-186. Does the DCO-106 implement this version? If not, can the actual sysex implementation be made available to purchasers and potential purchases? Also, same questions for the rest of the midi implementation (page 184-185).

Thanks.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hello Steve,
Steve W wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:15 pm The MIDI System Exclusive Book (DeFuria & Scacciaferro, Hal Leonard, 1987) has the sysex specs for the Juno-106, 106S, HS-60 V 1.0 [April 11, 1984] on pages 185-186. Does the DCO-106 implement this version? If not, can the actual sysex implementation be made available to purchasers and potential purchases? Also, same questions for the rest of the midi implementation (page 184-185).
The DCO-106 is able to read that exact SysEx data from a Juno-106. If you use a Juno-106 as a MIDI controller for DCO-106, and you set your Juno-106 MIDI to "Mode III" on the back of the unit, it will send SysEx data for all sliders, switches, and buttons, and it will transmit complete patch data when you switch from one patch to another. So DCO-106 can instantly read patches from a hardware Juno-106 just by changing patches on the front panel of your Juno.

DCO-106 doesn't transmit SysEx, and we don't have any mechanism for loading a SysEx data file, so either your DAW needs to send the SysEx data to the plug-in, or you need to use a Juno-106 as your controller, or you need some other mechanism for sending the SysEx data via MIDI to the plugin. Note that many DAWs will filter out SysEx and won't send it to a plug-in.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Cherry Dan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:44 am The DCO-106 is able to read that exact SysEx data from a Juno-106 . . . .
DCO-106 doesn't transmit SysEx, and we don't have any mechanism for loading a SysEx data file . . . .
Thanks for the clarifications/additional details, Dan.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Is there a way to control my wavestation. Since your mentioning sysex. I have a few old synths that would benefit from something like being able to control sysex thru modular with all the control it entails. It would give them a new life
eagleman

Post by eagleman »

Cherry Dan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:44 am The DCO-106 is able to read that exact SysEx data from a Juno-106 . . . .
DCO-106 doesn't transmit SysEx, and we don't have any mechanism for loading a SysEx data file . . . .
I also have a juno 106. It would be a great feature if DCO 106 would be able to transmit SysEx to the juno 106.
Could this be considered in an forthcoming update for the standalone version?
infinitystairs

Post by infinitystairs »

Hi, when I read this supports the hardware Juno's sysex, I purchased it immediately! However, it does not work as a VST3 plugin in Ableton Live. I spent some time making sure I did everything right... mode III on the back of the Juno, confirmed Midi Monitor was seeing the sysex, etc.

Finally, I closed Ableton and tried running the standalone DCO-106 app and it works! I wouldn't ever actually use it in standalone mode though. I know that as of Ableton Live 10 that it supports sysex.

Can you confirm that this doesn't work in Ableton and if there are plans to support it?

If you can get this working there will be LOTS of enthusiastic Juno-106 owners that need this!

Return to “DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer”