Reason Rack Extension for VM?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
jasonmads

Reason Rack Extension for VM?

Post by jasonmads »

Reason isn't too friendly with VSTs (no support for VST3), no MIDI or CV from VSTs.
I was wondering if Cherry Audio has any plans to make a Rack Extension (Reason's native plugin format) of Voltage? This would allow MIDI and CV outs and better CV ins.
Any other Reason users here who would like to see this?
xones2358

Re: Reason Rack Extension for VM?

Post by xones2358 »

long time Reason user, loving the workflow and the RE format, but the lack of midi out is such a drawback. I wish they would listen better to their community. stuff like this or an updated Combinator have been requested since ages.

for me, when I work with VM, I almost always switch to Bitwig, as it drains slightly less CPU and allows MPE.. another feature I would love to see in Reason...

back on topic, I am afraid not too many devs are willing to jump on the Rack Extension train nowadays, since it is such a small niche market.

Noise Engineering did port many of their awesome hardware modules unto the RE format. these are a blast. :D
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

noise engineering has indeed great RE's for reason.

but a voltage modular RE?? there is no room.... scaling is coming, but that is said for years.

there is an audio to cv converter in reason. don't if it works... CV out that is interpreted as audio and then converted to cv?? i have to try it.

but i remember there is an example that it can work in reason, or better the other way around; the reason rack in VM.

on youtube?
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

MIDI out -

you*re rite, there is a process that directly involves VM and Robotic Bean's Audio to cV utility.

dunno, was too lazy to try. I just wish they would allow it by default.
they have made it available in the Reason Rack Plugin, which I do not own but not in Reason DAW itself.

here*s a post, further down also a youtube vid...
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7516823
jasonmads

Post by jasonmads »

Tried a few things for CV out from Voltage Modular, the easiest so far, in VM send the CVs to audio channel outs , take audio from VM into Thor. Reset Thor, and just create Audio in to VC out patches. I put this into CVA-7 CV Analyzer(free) and it looks great for 1Hz!
jasonmads

Post by jasonmads »

So I'm reading the manual... actually looking at every module I have, understand what it does and next module, repeat.

Anyway, I have CV outs through audio out, thor patch audio to cv.

Now Midi out to midi loopback(loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen) to midi device in reason.

Easy workarounds that really would not warrant a Reason Rack Extension.

As a plus, with Plugin host, I can host VSTs that output midi and direct the midi into Reason!

Return to “Voltage Modular”