Anyone got FX presets for guitar/audio?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Aakhagen

Anyone got FX presets for guitar/audio?

Post by Aakhagen »

Hi!
I'm a guitarist looking to use Voltage Modular Nucleus to make interesting guitar sounds. Filter/Buzz/fuzz and strangeness

I really like the synth presets in this one, but would anyone care to share some presets based on audio/host input?

I can make it work for sure, but I'm lost in modular-land in a second. I use the presets for the synth lot and really like them, but (at least in my installation) there are 0 presets for FX.

Love from Sweden / Dan
Cherry Lee Lewis
Site Admin

Re: Anyone got FX presets for guitar/audio?

Post by Cherry Lee Lewis »

I like using a preset I created which I call stereo guitar amps.
I load the mini plugin host, or plugin host, put two different amp sims in them, run one left and one right.
I add in reverb, delay, compression, etc. modules to effect the amps.
Makes for a really full powerful amp sound.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure this is the right vid, but it might get you pointed in the right direction, which is running the fx version of VM as a plugin in your DAW, then running audio through it and back out to your DAW.
https://youtu.be/IrClDQjFHyQ

That guy (Venus Theory) has at least one other video, I think, regarding using VM as an effect, either under his own youtube channel and making videos for the official VM YT channel.

To get an idea about how to connect modules, without watching the intro videos, you might consider installing a 7 day demo of the psp modules, which are pretty much effects only, and probably come with presets that show you how to connect effects presets. You might be able to adapt some of those to the modules in the nucleus bundle.
https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/p ... collection

here's a fun bit about this guy running his guitar though a synth. . .
https://youtu.be/CaiMjwF0a64?t=872

check out 16:35 - sync your VM clock to your DAW (there's a vid for that somewhere), so that you can send those clock triggers (maybe slowed down with sync divider) to a shit ton of envelope generators modulating filters,ring mod, etc. use your sequencer (on ext clock), synchronized to DAW beat, to send regular CV patterns to effects (use seq glide to smooth out those CV changes from the sliders). use S&H (on the same clock) to randomize some settings.

Cheers!
Aakhagen

Post by Aakhagen »

Thanks! Really helpful!

The Who-stuff is somewhat Close to what I'd like to hear, but perhaps a more playable sound.

I've looked at some videos and I can et both audio and sync to work (methinks) it's just I have no grasp on the modules needed to create anything interesting. It' noteable that the FX part is not explored/used/presetted as much as the midi-version. One rainy day I might get in there, but as long as we have summer in Sweden I'll pass.

And again; I you have presets for the FX that you are willing to share, drop me a message or email at dan.akhagen Hotmail.com.

Love from Sweden / Dan
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

don't forget to search the presets part of the forum for things that might interest you. . .

so I didn't test this, but figured maybe you'd rather have something than nothing. . . at the least, it'll show you what modules you can use. . .it's a sketch, rather than a finished patch. . .might take someone who knows a few things about synthesis to configure the filters and make the effects sound good. . .

start by downloading the free psp spectra module, which will show you your audio frequencies.

The idea behind the patch is "roll you own vocoder." I'm trying to break up your incoming guitar audio into 3 paths - high notes, mid and low notes. Each path gets its own effect. LFOs are twisting some knobs for you. S&H is adding some randomness. signal flow goes from left to right.
you'll have to fiddle with the left-hand filter cutoffs to make sure highs, mids and lows go through their own filter and filter the other 2 out. The PSP Spectra is there to help with that.

The effects won't sound good as is. . . you've got to start twisting and learn how they work. . .adjust lfo rate to taste

things you could add
- a sequencer, set to tempo of your song, acting as a clock and sending out gates to envelope generators which replace the LFOs soyour effects change in tempo of your song
- oscillators, in different octaves, set to the key of your song
- ring mod and oscillator (as second source)
- mod wheel assistant, to manually change something in there, like using a pedal
- an envelope follower, which nucleus doesn't have, is the ticket to making an exciting patch - that would allow you to use loudness of your guitar to turn things on and off in the patch. that's what Pete Townshend did with his ARP patch for the song Relay.

Best wishes!
Attachments
DanSwedenGuitar.voltagepreset
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Aakhagen

Post by Aakhagen »

Thank you!!!

I really preciate your effort! I will dig into this as soon as I'm through a sea of drum edits :-D

Love from Sweden / Dan
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

I'd delete the middle, band pass cabinet, just to make configuring things easier with the cutoff frequencies of the first filter in each cabinet. Trying to split a signal into 2 paths will be easier than trying to split a signal into 3 paths.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Sorry for all the arp2600 stuff, but that's what I keep running across.
shouldn't be necessary to buy it, but don't forget that there's an arp2600 synth voice made by Cherry Audio for Voltage Modular (vintage voice?) - you should be able to use lots of the nucleus modules rather than buy that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNATpZp ... =2&t=3617s

Cheers!

Return to “Voltage Modular”