A Midi Note filter Module ?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
xuoham

A Midi Note filter Module ?

Post by xuoham »

The solution may be dead simple but so far it's not in front of my eyes :

For example, I have a midi percussion midi file played by the midi file player and this midi sequence is made of three different notes.
How can i dispatch each note to a different sound generating module ? Isn't there a midi note filter ?
Or, a bit like in Ableton's groups, the possibility to define a note range within which to allow the midi signal to flow ?
honki-bobo

Re: A Midi Note filter Module ?

Post by honki-bobo »

The MIDI Drum Trigger module might be what you are looking for, included in VM Ignite and Core.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Thank you Honki-Bobo ! But i forgot to mention that i want to dispatch the midi notes to the plugin host so it has to be midi, not CV nor Poly CV.
Of course, i could use the CV to Midi module, but since the drum trigger module only extracts gate and not the velocity, the integrity of the midi file is lost. In my case i want to use absolutely not quantized percussion midi files so the velocity is very important. BTW, off topic, only MRB and Monkey Business seem to implement velocity in the envelopes, too bad ...Even the PSP ADSR doesn't have a velocity parameter...
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Ok, I see the problem here. You could put different notes on different MIDI channels and use the MIDI Channel Filter module to route each note to a different Plugin Host. This would mean you would have to edit each MIDI file you want to use, but this is something that can easily be done in any DAW or even a hex editor.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
martb

Post by martb »

I guess this extra module would meet your requirements:

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midigator6

Not free of course, but cheap. There is a free single note version that could be made to work maybe?

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midigator
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

honki-bobo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 am Ok, I see the problem here. You could put different notes on different MIDI channels and use the MIDI Channel Filter module to route each note to a different Plugin Host. This would mean you would have to edit each MIDI file you want to use, but this is something that can easily be done in any DAW or even a hex editor.
Thanks Honki ! :) Yes, i thought about it, i guess i am just looking for a lazy and non cluttered solution. :mrgreen: :idea:
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

martb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:13 am I guess this extra module would meet your requirements:

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midigator6

Not free of course, but cheap. There is a free single note version that could be made to work maybe?

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midigator
Hey, this looks like it ! Gonna investigate. Many thanks martb ! ;)

BTW, even in the CV world only, i am surprised that there is no CV value (or CV note) "constrainer", i mean, just something to just let flow a certain CV value. Actually, i am sure that with some CV to note monitor and a few logic or switch whistles one can do it, but i do not have time to experiment now.
OR ... this module already exists and i don't know of it. (after buying many modules, getting more guitar gear, and buying OZONE9, i am broke and try to avoid module acquisition syndrome so i don't check ALL the modules available from ALL those talented developers :shock: )
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

threshold module, among others
you could gang those guys up, putting a bunch of them in a chain with multiples between them to route voltages of different amounts in different directions

also 8x1 switch, using CV switch jack
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Shoekah, yes, thanks, and actually ganging things together IS the fun of modular, and makes one do brain training by thinking a way of getting to a goal, but i am definitely looking for an uncluttered, compact solution.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

right on!

Return to “Voltage Modular”