VM 2.0.25 FX insert kills audio engine of Nuendo and Cubase

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
nkf

VM 2.0.25 FX insert kills audio engine of Nuendo and Cubase

Post by nkf »

This is a nasty bug: in dense Nuendo or Cubase projects VM 2.0.25 can kill the audio engine in Nuendo 10.2, 10.3, Nuendo 8 and Cubase 10.5 (checked them all) when used as an audio insert in heavy projects. It cost me a lot of time to find the problem, as there were no crashes or alike. Audio can stop from the beginning or after some seconds. I used the new Syrup filter by MRB - if this is of importance. The audio engine was not brought to live again. Only a "force quit" could help.
IMO there is a big problem here. Please look into this ASAP.
Experienced on a MacPro with macOS 10.14.6.
HowlingMod

Re: VM 2.0.25 FX insert kills audio engine of Nuendo and Cubase

Post by HowlingMod »

try to set multiple thread usage off, i.e. to one core.
you can do it, of course in the standalone version.
perhaps it helps, i notice in heavy projects (for my desktop...), for instance with softube modular, and a 5 or vsti's, that multiple threading, does not block cubase, but makes it impossible to run the project.
on windows 10 by the way.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
nkf

Post by nkf »

HowlingMod wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 am try to set multiple thread usage off, i.e. to one core.
perhaps it helps, i notice in heavy projects (for my desktop...), for instance with softube modular, and a 5 or vsti's, that multiple threading, does not block cubase, but makes it impossible to run the project.
You mean "Multi-Processing" in the VST Setup? I think that would disable cores and wouldn't be a good idea on Macs.
Usually, if CPU power is maxed out, there is stuttering etc. But in this case VM as insert FX kills the whole audio engine until the app is restarted. It wasn't the case before and is clearly a bug in the new version.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Give that a try - click on the little gear icon to go into settings, then look at the CPU settings and try disabling the option called "Use Multiple Threads For Mixing." Restart everything and see if that helps.

You could also try just reducing the number of threads.

Greg
nkf

Post by nkf »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:42 pm Hi,

Give that a try - click on the little gear icon to go into settings, then look at the CPU settings and try disabling the option called "Use Multiple Threads For Mixing." Restart everything and see if that helps.

You could also try just reducing the number of threads.

Greg
Thank you, I reduced the multiple threads from 8 to 2 and the project played fine.
nkf

Post by nkf »

HowlingMod wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 am try to set multiple thread usage off, i.e. to one core.
Sorry, misunderstood you at first. I thought you meant the VST setup in Nuendo/Cubase. Thank you, that was a good recommendation.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

nkf wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 pm
Sorry, misunderstood you at first. I thought you meant the VST setup in Nuendo/Cubase. Thank you, that was a good recommendation.
i had could stated more clearly: in voltage modular itself. glad it worked!
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Voltage Modular”