Syrup liquid filter: a must have for VM owners

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
rfj

Syrup liquid filter: a must have for VM owners

Post by rfj »

Hi.

Today MRB has released Syrup, the liquid filter for VM. Weeks ago I,ve started a thread here asking for a filter similar to Mutable Ripples (famous among modular aficionados for its liquid round resonance (a la Roland TB303 and Roland filters for the Juno series). I'm totally convinced that 50% of that analog sounding character of modular synthesis relies on filters. I love filters, specially those with a "liquid" character. I love the sound of TB303 filter. Having discovered Ripples filter from Mutable Instruments I bought one to use with my Behringer Neutron semimodular analog synthesizer (as you can see in the pics). I thought it would be great for VM users to have a similar sounding filter at their disposal in the same way VCV Rack users community have an emulation of Ripples. Now, MRB came with Syrup, the liquid filter for VM. Having the real hardware version myself I can tell you that Syrup sounds 95% like the hardware deal. You'll have to try it. If you love filters and those liquid basslines you'll love Syrup.

https://ibb.co/r7Q7jL2
https://ibb.co/Zf3bBwy
wavemechanic

Re: Syrup liquid filter: a must have for VM owners

Post by wavemechanic »

I second this. Syrup is FANTASTIC! Messed with it for hours yesterday! I was able to nail every one of the use cases in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsI4iidr48
SLiC

Post by SLiC »

I third this! :D

I also have the hardware ripple and the VCV ripples and Syrup is great at getting 'that sound' but also it goes a lot further....In expands the original ripples in mind blowing ways to take your sound in to new/unheard directions. This to me is what 'patch and play' stuff should be about- opening new options, not just cloning hardware in software!

Definitely a 'must have' bundle.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

<3 !!!
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

Hey, somebody capture a few minutes (like 5-8 minutes) of video of your patch and upload to youtube!

(Use OBS studio for free screen/audio capture - audio capture might be a pain, but if you use system audio rather than audio interface, or output audio to free voicemeeter banana/soundflower , in OBS use VB/SF as audio input, you'll probably be alright) - doesn't need to be pretty, thanks!
nkf

Post by nkf »

Syrup is sounding fantastic. I have all MRB stuff - the sound quality of the modules is exceptional.
I always have to ignore the MRB sound demos - they sound like random noodling something from the 1970ies and doesn't do the great modules any favour.
jmatos

Post by jmatos »

Is this included in the MRB Laboratory bundle?
andro

Post by andro »

@jmatros, it's not in that bundle. There is a new bundle with it.
ShoeHorn

Post by ShoeHorn »

I'm demoing this at the moment, but can't get any particularly amazing sounds out of it.

Are there any presets anywhere, or diagrams on how to wire it up?

Thanks in advance.
nkf

Post by nkf »

ShoeHorn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 am I'm demoing this at the moment, but can't get any particularly amazing sounds out of it.

Are there any presets anywhere, or diagrams on how to wire it up?

Thanks in advance.
Just compare it to regular filters - Syrup has a different sound and reacts very smooth to movements. It is not an ear catching FX or so.

Return to “Voltage Modular”