Tuner?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
JayBee6244

Tuner?

Post by JayBee6244 »

I don't see a native Tuner module in VM - other than using a VST host or an Andrew Macaulay module (CV Note) that works somewhat but it's not the main point of his module.

Does anyone know of any native modules for this? Tuning oscillators, filters (self-modulation) etc - all needs a tuner - and ideally something with stabilised input detection for tuning to specific root notes and octaves.
Captain

Re: Tuner?

Post by Captain »

Just to clarify - you mean a tuner that detects the fundamental frequency of an audio signal (lika a typical guitar tuner)?
andro

Post by andro »

I am writing a CV to Hz meter at the moment, nearly ready. But again, can I ask the same question, do you want an audio frequency meter? That, interestingly, is going to be my next project
JayBee6244

Post by JayBee6244 »

Hi @Captain @Andro,

Yes, I'm looking for a monophonic tuner (like a guitar tuner) so I can tune oscillators, sub-oscillator and filters (including external audio sources) correctly.

Examples:
https://library.vcvrack.com/NYSTHI/HotTuna
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTuner

Hope this helps? :)
andro

Post by andro »

Determining fundamental frequency (~= pitch) of a note is pretty complicated - that's why you don't see a lot of these modules. To give you an idea of how subtle this is see here:

https://www.mathworks.com/help/audio/ref/pitch.html

Irrelevant to VM but is shows the considerations involved.

I'll start working on this, since I will have one customer! [I am preparing to release a few simple modules in the next few months.]

When you realise all the complications you can see that not all tuners necessarily give 'exact' results. It's a balance of a dozen parameters.
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

oh yeah, my favorite thing right now is karplus strong synthesis, and I have to tune everything by ear (because I always run vm stand alone, if I was going to get serious then I could use a DAW tuner on the audio out, but much prefer stand-alone so a tuner module would be nice)
JayBee6244

Post by JayBee6244 »

Same here. I run standalone with integrated hardware driving VM. Currently I have to use the host module to bring in a VST, which kinda spoils the flow.

@andro I’ll definitely be customer number one - let me know if you need any testing done ahead of release - whenever that is!

For reference VCVs HotTuna seems to be the go to’ module there and it works very well and is simple to use.

J
sonicrich

Post by sonicrich »

Hi there,

Is there any update on Tuner ideas - I am using Voltage Modular as a controller and FX rig for some external eurorack gear and I would love an integrated tuner module so I can tune my external oscillators and potentially make chords.

I am currently using an external tuner, not tried a VST one yet which I would need to use in my DAW.

If anyone knows of any existing modules then please let me know.

Thanks!
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

andro wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:01 am Determining fundamental frequency (~= pitch) of a note is pretty complicated - that's why you don't see a lot of these modules. To give you an idea of how subtle this is see here:

When you realise all the complications you can see that not all tuners necessarily give 'exact' results. It's a balance of a dozen parameters.
And yet guitar tuners have been a thing for decades, and reliable enough that guitarists use them on stage during a show.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

The ESP-20 Processor module features "Freq -> Volt" conversion. It is not 100% accurate and it doesn't really work below G1 (~49 Hz), but it will get you in the ball park and you can fine tune by ear from there.
ESP-20 Tuner.jpg
ESP-20 Tuner.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube

Return to “Voltage Modular”