Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

tarkus1971 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 pm Hi

Looking forward to the new CPU updates for version 2, just wondering if installing an SSD into my production PC, might help with some of the audio stutters?
Hi,

It depends upon what's causing the stutters. If you're writing or reading from the hard drive a lot, it would help. For example, it would probably help recording audio or playing samples.

Other things to look at: go into your CPU settings and try toggling the Multi-thread option, and make sure that you've got the latest driver for your audio device (from the manufacturer's web page). If you're not using ASIO, and you have that option, try ASIO.

Greg
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

rsover wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:39 pm Please consider the option to allow the users to chose the theme: Light or Dark. Or at least make the SynthVoice theme a bit lighter.
We are perceiving colors in different ways. I liked the old theme,
While I do feel this one is good, it's hard for my eyes (I generally prefer Light schemes: OS, IDE, browser, except terminal)

+1
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Hi

Just purchased a cheapish 240Gb SSD for the Production PC, I do use ASIO on my ultranova, D05 and Beringher Xenys1622 USB Desk, so my stuttering has only occurred since the VM 2 update.

Regards
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Let us know what happens!

In the meantime, we're working on an update which attempts to improve CPU performance.

Greg
terrymcg

Post by terrymcg »

tarkus1971 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 pm Looking forward to the new CPU updates for version 2, just wondering if installing an SSD into my production PC, might help with some of the audio stutters?
That would depend on a lot of factors, but I'd say no, it's not going to help much (if the problem is CPU capacity related).

Lots of other stuff might speed up though, and no moving parts is generally a good thing for disks, unless they are the spinny kind ;)

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Hi

I agree if CPU related but my thinking is the virtual ram access might speed up a bit, although I have switched it off and it does seem a little less stuttery, with it on, it's more of a problem, so disc caching is playing a part too it seems... should get the SSD by the end of the week, clean install of Windows and VM2 and I will let you know how it performs.

Regards
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Today we've released Voltage Modular 2.0.17. This update brings significant performance improvements to Voltage Modular 2. In addition, we've fixed several bugs affecting both the plug-in and stand-alone version, and we've continued to make improvements throughout the software. You can find a complete list of changes on the Voltage Modular version history page:

https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular ... on-history

Voltage Modular 2.0.17 is available now on our download page: https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular/download

Owners of the Voltage Modular Core package will discover a new FREE module in their library: Octal Switch. This endlessly-useful utility module provides a convenient set of 8 voltage-controllable switches/gates, which can be very useful for introducing and removing various signals to your patch.

As you explore Voltage Modular 2.0, you'll continue to find improvements to existing modules. Take a look at the updated Sample and Hold module, and you'll find that it now features a built-in, overrideable white noise source, and a clock output. Voltage Modular 2.0 is all about doing more with fewer cables and less clutter, and we'll be continuing to improve existing modules while we push the boundaries of software modular synthesis further!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

Cherry Dan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 pm Today we've released Voltage Modular 2.0.17
And I read this on the day I volunteer for an extra shift in the Shop !!!

Cant wait to get home and try it out. Thanks Guys.
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

aaannnnddddd... just to follow up.

Did a little benchmark test on .15 (after the library updated, .17 downloaded, but not installed etc).i.e. after system settled

Directly compared same patches after installing .17.

For me. Polyphonic Pad (Useful Pad) and Polyphonic Patch (Vintage Poly Synth) both went from a max 3 note polyphony before glitching, to a 6 note polyphony before glitching. Even 7 notes was better than 4 had been before such that the glitching at 7 was 'rare', but you wouldn't record with it.

A complex non-poly patch (C1) went from slight glitching to none.

My actual CPU usage went from an average of 30 on .15 to 16-17 on .17. Interestingly for both, the CPU usage didnt change much from an idle patch to a performed patch. In other words, glitching occurred with little more than 30, and 17 percent CPU usage respectively.

For me the .17 update makes enough difference and I can live with the slight performance limitations over VM1 given the other benefits introduced in VM2. I do not do a lot of poly work in VM1 (yet) anyway, so 1.9 thumbs up from me.

I would say, that whilst I did not really test VM1 in the same way, and primarily played monophonically (and probably occasional chords up to say 4 notes) it is still evident that VM2 is more CPU hungry for me because I actually have to reduce poly count to get the glitch free playback I mention. Previously, I never touched the poly count on the presets. (Unless the number of voices were actually set lower on the VM1 presets... but I am doubting that).

Anyway. A very happy (though not perhaps ecstatic) customer here.
xuoham

Post by xuoham »

Big improvement here with .017 on a modest i5-4200M Lenovo Thinkpad 8 gig RAM. :)

Return to “Voltage Modular”