Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
schoekah

Re: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by schoekah »

33 Tetragammon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:05 pm -Mac OSX 10.14.6
for some strange reason Voltage Modular VST2/VST3 still do NOT show up in Studio One Professional ,
On Windows, I had to edit the Plugins-en.settings file for s1.4 to see my plugins one time, per mornebester's instructions on this page:
https://answers.presonus.com/28610/does ... 610#q28610
(scroll down to find mornebester, don't un/reinstall)
mausglider

Post by mausglider »

Hi Greg,

I tried the new version 2.0.15 but unfortunately VM is unusable for me (very sad). I'm not complaining but CPU use is too high compared with the 1.3.16, uninstalled and reverted to the old version. I know very well that I should change PC (Windows) but at the moment it is not possible.

I'd just like to ask if the modules on store before version 2.0 will all be replaced, in other words, if I stay with the old version, that is fine, I will no longer be able to buy anything...
I own the Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums, luckily with several modules.
Thank you for your time
sksherman

Post by sksherman »

I did some more experimentation that may prove helpful.

My Windows system has 8 CPUs in the Resource Monitor. On my system, when I experience stuttering, CPU7 hits 100%. This rarely happens now with my current ASIO settings. But, it happens a lot with "Vector Presets" "Dreamy Cathedral." And, the reason for this is the high CPU usage of polyairwave.

There is an acceptable workaround. In my system, reducing "Poly Sources" "Number of Voices" from 8 to 5 brings the CPU usage to under 100%. And, the stuttering stops.

So, the stuttering I've been observing is a result of overloading a single CPU. And, one remedy is to cut the number of voices to the polyphonic oscillator, enough to avoid overloading.

A future feature might be to somehow split the processing of polyphonic oscillator voices across CPUs or use the GPU. IN this example, the other 7 CPUs are at about 30% or so. The GPU doesn't budge much, around 20% usage.

I hope this helps! :)

Steve
martb

Post by martb »

Just wanted to say that I like the new look in VM2. Particularly the more compact design of some of the modules. I presume the new look will be applied to most of the CA modules eventually.
Also, I wanted to say that I think it's great move to remove the limit on free modules in the store. Hopefully it'll be fruitful. 8-)
martb

Post by martb »

Cherry Dan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:11 pm The MS Vintage Bundle has been expanded to include the new Poly VCO-20 Dual Oscillator and Poly VCF-20 Filter, for polyphonic playback of their gargantuan tones! Of course, these new modules are absolutely FREE to all owners of the MS Vintage Bundle! Get MS Vintage Bundle for only $19 (regularly $30) through May 31!
I have the MS Vintage Bundle as part of the year one collection but the poly modules don't appear to be included. Is that correct or an oversight?
sdv

Post by sdv »

martb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm
Cherry Dan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:11 pm The MS Vintage Bundle has been expanded to include the new Poly VCO-20 Dual Oscillator and Poly VCF-20 Filter, for polyphonic playback of their gargantuan tones! Of course, these new modules are absolutely FREE to all owners of the MS Vintage Bundle! Get MS Vintage Bundle for only $19 (regularly $30) through May 31!
I have the MS Vintage Bundle as part of the year one collection but the poly modules don't appear to be included. Is that correct or an oversight?
I was wondering the same thing!
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

martb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm I have the MS Vintage Bundle as part of the year one collection but the poly modules don't appear to be included. Is that correct or an oversight?
Hi,

I believe Year One bundle owners would get a discounted price (less than the current sales price). Check it out: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/ms-vintage-bundle

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

mausglider wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm Hi Greg,

I tried the new version 2.0.15 but unfortunately VM is unusable for me (very sad). I'm not complaining but CPU use is too high compared with the 1.3.16, uninstalled and reverted to the old version. I know very well that I should change PC (Windows) but at the moment it is not possible.

I'd just like to ask if the modules on store before version 2.0 will all be replaced, in other words, if I stay with the old version, that is fine, I will no longer be able to buy anything...
I own the Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums, luckily with several modules.
Thank you for your time
Hi,

If you use version 1, you won't be able to use new 2.0 modules - like the Vector modules, for example.

We're working to improve the CPU usage in VM 2.0.15, but it would help to know specifically what's going on. Another user mentions that he's seeing problems when he has a lot of poly voices in the Airwave module. Reducing the number of voices helps with the CPU. This gives the software developers something specific to look at that they can try to optimize.

Do you notice any patterns? Do some presets use a bunch of CPU while others don't? What's different about those presets?

Also, you may be able to improve the performance of VM 2.0 by tweaking CPU preferences in Voltage Modular's CPU settings.

Greg
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

As an early 'whinger' about CPU, and having not commented since '.15' I thought I might give an updated opinion.

I am primarily referring to monophonic patches, primarily because the outstanding poly issues seem to be accepted and have actions in the pipeline.

I would say that there was a definitive improvement upon the earlier release of 2.0. Quite noticeable, in fact. BUT, such was the performance drop from 1.x, that even had .15 been the initial 2.0 release, I would have still bemoaned performance issues.

Whilst this varied from patch to patch, I would try to illustrate the 'typical' scenarios.
  • In 1.x I had never noticed ANY CPU related limitations in my personal use (I could not comment if I had a lot of headroom, or was often close to maxing out, as I never had cause to look).
  • In initial 2.0, there was barely a patch that would not crack or pop at least on occasion. Many / most were just a sea of maxed out CPU distortion. Complex patches. Forget it. Stutters or more or less nothing
  • In .015 'most' non-complex monophonic patches that I tried worked with no, or only occasional artefacts (of course, occasional is still too much, but the improvement was notable). Complex patches seemed to occupy the ground that simple patches had before. Improved, but only to the point that there was an unusable mess, rather than occasionally broken silence.
However, I know my machine is not new. Despite lamenting the difference between 1.0 and 2.0 I equally understand that software will eventually dictate that I improve my equipment. Given that this is not possible for the foreseeable future, I set about trying some optimisation, as I had not done a thorough clean up for some time.

The result.

'Night and day' may be an exaggeration, but perhaps 'Dawn and Noon'!

I have not tried every factory or personal preset, but the vast majority are now fully usable. Not all (and I am still talking monophonic only) but a definite majority, and this INCLUDES a good number of complex patches. Certainly I can now use VM with a degree of 'hope' that I wont have problems.

I really haven't spent much time re-trying poly patches, but of those I did try a couple seemed to work ok ....most did not. , but I think it makes more sense to await the upcoming updates.

I must clarify though, despite the obvious need for my PC clean-up, the prior configuration obviously did not render VM1, nor any other of my current plug-ins unusable, so whilst I am happy with the fruits of may labour I still remain hopeful that future updates will just compound these improvements.

Good work everyone, including - if only this once - me.
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

EDIT: My post below incorrectly assumed the MS Vintage Bundle was part of the year one collection. This is NOT the case. Please ignore.

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm I believe Year One bundle owners would get a discounted price (less than the current sales price). Check it out: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/ms-vintage-bundle

This is interesting.

If you own a bundle you get any updates free, but if you own a bundle that is included in another bundle/collection, then the updates are 'paid'?.

I must confess, whilst I do agree that VM bundle prices seem pretty damn good, I wouldn't have assumed this to be the case. I am still on core+drums (for full disclosure) but It certainly would dissuade me from buying any larger bundles in the future. I'd just stick to the smaller bundles that focus upon my preferences so that I - hopefully - didn't miss out on any future enhancements to that package.
Last edited by CairnsMuso on Mon May 25, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Voltage Modular”