FR: I/O Panel Naming Consistency

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
DarkStar

FR: I/O Panel Naming Consistency

Post by DarkStar »

It has always struck me as odd that:
-- "CV OUTS" provide signals INTO the Modules from the host / hardware interface
-- "MAIN OUTS" and "AUX OUTS" sentdsignals FROM the modules to the host / audio interface.

I would suggest that those sockets that provide signals to the modules are labelled as Sources. As in this mock-up:

DarkStar ... interesting, if true. // Inspired by ...
miaousse

Re: FR: I/O Panel Naming Consistency

Post by miaousse »

Hi
+1
SimonOR

Post by SimonOR »

Yes, that's contradictory and confusing. I'd say it's a plain old mistake, which would make this thread a bug report rather than a feature request. :?

However, I suggest that DarkStar's proposed solution is not yet optimal. If the Ins, including the CV Ins currently incorrectly labelled Outs, are to be called Sources instead of Ins, it would be consistent to also rename the Outs to Destinations, a common opposite of Sources. Perhaps that would be clearer to some users. For me, Ins and Out are perfectly clear (and shorter).

Simon
SimonOR

Post by SimonOR »

I now realise the flaw in my previous post. The sockets labelled CV Outs etc. are technically outputs from the I/O Panel, even though they represent inputs to VM. So it could be misleading to simply rename "Out" to "In". I now completely agree with DarkStar's suggestion, as shown in his mock-up.

Simon

Return to “Voltage Modular”