Additive Oscillator - worth it?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
antic604

Additive Oscillator - worth it?

Post by antic604 »

Anyone bought this module?

Based on the documentation (https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... oscillator) I imagine I'd really like it and would find a good use for it, however there are no sound samples or videos anywhere (nor there is a demo version) and I'm a little reluctant to spend EUR30 just like that - there are full VST synths that cost not much more, like Go2 or Carbon Electra :)
clairobskur

Re: Additive Oscillator - worth it?

Post by clairobskur »

i haven't bought it, and i'm not willing to buy any additional module. the price of the modules are too high for my taste. especially the ones from cherry audio.
while i like voltage modular, i'm not using it because modules included in the early adopter bundle are too basic for my taste
whywhy

Post by whywhy »

Hi Antic,
I haven't bought this module yet but I'm plan to buy it.
The center CV mod could bring a lot of things to the table!
I hope, they will release the same module concept with a resonator or a modal filter bank.
I recommend to buy the Psp audioware package, or modules, because the quality is high and you can do a lot of stuff with it.
Example, you can do phase modulation or an all pass filter with 2 comb modules, the lfo is crazy, and you can keytrack it, it can simulate an oscillator in the low, middle, frequency. Their filters are really good and it brings the VM quality at an higher level.
If you are in generative music, the cherry audio turning machine is great !

About the price, I think, the price tag is great, developing a module take time.
About compare a module price with a synth, It's not the same thing, a module is an open world of new possibilities, a synth is, often, a close thing....

Best
Nico
More CV input and attenuators !
antic604

Post by antic604 »

whywhy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pmI recommend to buy the Psp audioware package, or modules, because the quality is high and you can do a lot of stuff with it.
whywhy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pmIf you are in generative music, the cherry audio turning machine is great!
Considering both, thank you :)
antic604

Post by antic604 »

clairobskur wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 ami haven't bought it, and i'm not willing to buy any additional module. the price of the modules are too high for my taste. especially the ones from cherry audio.while i like voltage modular, i'm not using it because modules included in the early adopter bundle are too basic for my taste
You sound angry. Maybe it's not too late to ask for a refund?
josep

Post by josep »

whywhy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pm If you are in generative music, the cherry audio turning machine is great !
Since you mention it ... i wonder if you (or anyone here) know of a good intro tutorial (video or text) on modular generative music for a beginner? ... I've watched already some videos on YouTube about VCAs + LFOs, but i would like to find a good intro tutorial on modular generative music from start to finish (concepts, modules used, examples, etc).

Thanks in advance!
clairobskur

Post by clairobskur »

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm You sound angry. Maybe it's not too late to ask for a refund?
yes, maybe i'm a bit angry. especially when i search within my 90 modules and i can't find a single decent lfo or envelope. give me only 10-15 modules...but powerful ones!
i have 20 (!!) drum modules! i haven't bought VM for using it as a drum machine. and even if i would, there isn't a single interesting drum module!... only 808/909 emulation. the new digi drum modules are definitely not of my taste. they only contain samples from classic drum machines.
the drum sequencer is so limited: at least let us change the number of steps per row!!

but i'm not giving up on VM because:
1) while i don't like the included modules, i like the software. especially the CPU usage.
2) i'm waiting for more modules from 3rd party. hopefully at a lower price, or maybe free.
3) i think that the actual cherry audio business model won't take them too far. once they realize it, they will be forced to lower the prices of the additional modules
antic604

Post by antic604 »

clairobskur wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:27 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm You sound angry. Maybe it's not too late to ask for a refund?
yes, maybe i'm a bit angry. especially when i search within my 90 modules and i can't find a single decent lfo or envelope. give me only 10-15 modules...but powerful ones!
i have 20 (!!) drum modules! i haven't bought VM for using it as a drum machine. and even if i would, there isn't a single interesting drum module!... only 808/909 emulation. the new digi drum modules are definitely not of my taste. they only contain samples from classic drum machines.
the drum sequencer is so limited: at least let us change the number of steps per row!!

but i'm not giving up on VM because:
1) while i don't like the included modules, i like the software. especially the CPU usage.
2) i'm waiting for more modules from 3rd party. hopefully at a lower price, or maybe free.
3) i think that the actual cherry audio business model won't take them too far. once they realize it, they will be forced to lower the prices of the additional modules
Luckily, I'm more of a beginner in all of this and almost every module for me is something to understand, explore and learn :)

However, what worries me personally is the dead silence we have since official launch - both here and on-line (Facebook, YouTube, etc.): there's no hype, no reviews, no discussion :(
clairobskur

Post by clairobskur »

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:03 am Luckily, I'm more of a beginner in all of this and almost every module for me is something to understand, explore and learn :)

However, what worries me personally is the dead silence we have since official launch - both here and on-line (Facebook, YouTube, etc.): there's no hype, no reviews, no discussion :(
this doesn't surprise me, as the market is over saturated. plus remember that vcv rack is free, and reaktor 6 is only 199$ with an incredible amount of very powerful (and free) modules!
Captain

Post by Captain »

What I'm hoping is that the public release of the Module Designer will open the floodgates. Remains to be seen, of course, but at least I have my hopes up! :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”