Help! Does this Module Exist? A MIDI Thing

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
puremusic

Help! Does this Module Exist? A MIDI Thing

Post by puremusic »

Hey folks. New to Voltage Modular here, have been fiddling around with it a bit since I bought it, and it occurred to me it might be a solution to a MIDI routing problem I have.

TO SKIP a long explanation, I'll sum up that I need a MIDI FX plugin that only let's pass through it every other note, or every third note, or every fourth note it receives, depending how I set it. Is there a Voltage Modular plugin already made that would suit me? Or is this a potential plugins someone might write in the future?

To sum up as to why I would want it, it would be for creating polyphony with mono instruments purposes. I would have the FX plugin cancelling out notes so that one mono instrument doesn't receive another note, until the other instruments have received theirs. This then allows a group of mono instruments to be played polyphonicly from the same keyboard.

I would then use the FX plugin to do this in my DAW, just let pass through the right notes.
Hrdsinc

Re: Help! Does this Module Exist? A MIDI Thing

Post by Hrdsinc »

That should be quite easy to build. I've only just got hold of the program but I'll have a look, there should be a lot of ways to do this with available modules.

If I don't reply in a day just DM me and I would think that'll send me an email to remind me,
puremusic

Post by puremusic »

Oh that's great buddy! I really hope it's a snap! It opens up a ton of possibilities with mono synths and sound modules!
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

This made me curious and I took a stab at it. There are probably many ways of doing this, but here's what I came up with.

I used the 1 x 8, cv to midi and midi out modules.
shows-midi-skipper.PNG
shows-midi-skipper.PNG (265.91 KiB) Viewed 13755 times
I am on my laptop and did not have an external midi to test, but it should work. (=
Attachments
midi-skipper.voltagepreset
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

One caveat, in the midi out, you'll need to select 'Send to Daw Host'
puremusic

Post by puremusic »

Oho, this works!!! Thank you!!!

Thank you both.

Educated me how to use VM better too! Gives me some ideas with MPE type stuff.

You have no idea how many different times I've tried to get this going in other ways. For some reason while it sounds simple, it was quite hard for me to find a simple tool to do it.

I was trying to do this outside the DAW at first, but had all sorts of difficulties with programs grabbing exclusive control of MIDI hardware, a Windows MIDI thing I'm told. This is fixed if you use the new Windows 10 MIDI API but it seems like nobody's heard of it, and everybody has to use it to stop the problem.
puremusic

Post by puremusic »

Yikes wait a minute, I spoke a bit too soon here.

Looks like I do it partly working, but the previous note is getting cut off when I play the new note. In other words, I am getting notes across different instruments, but I'm not getting to play a chord across instruments. I feel like I'm almost there though!
puremusic

Post by puremusic »

Yes hmm, if I understand how these modules works it seems with this method the 1x8 Step switch, doesn't play a next note which is what is desired, but does cut off the old note when it steps to the next port. Hmm. How to solve.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Oh I see. So you want it to simply filter out every 3rd note but with polyphony still. Got it.
Hrdsinc

Post by Hrdsinc »

I forgot, seems you got a good answer anyway. This would be one of my solutions.

So you route midi in, send the gate to the 8 counter, set how many steps, route the gate out at that number and set it as limiter, bass the note information to the instrument (or back out in your case), simple. :)

Edit, Jesus, just noticed thats the same as the other post.

Return to “Voltage Modular”