Sync with DAW - Cubase Artist 10

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
mattbarker

Sync with DAW - Cubase Artist 10

Post by mattbarker »

Hi all,
I can't get VM reliably syncing with Cubase Artist 10.

The closest I can get is patching it up without any "Reset" connections like the image below.
If i press play with it setup like this, 1/3 times or so, it will be in sync, so I can spam play till its in sync. I've been getting by with this and routing audio out and back in when its in sync to my DAW to mix it down. This is obv not ideal.

If I patch the resets from Play to Reset on Sync Divider and Octagon like this.. Image... , then it syncs more reliably, but it starts too fast! What I mean, is VM starts before Cubase plays, making the 2 on Octagon the 1 on the Cubase timeline.

This also is the same with Drum & 8 Step seq, so its not a Octagon issue.

Really need a solution to this, I bought a fair few modules while learning VM in standalone, and need it working in my DAW going forward.

If I'm doing something stupid let me know!

Thanks!
Matt Barker
mattbarker

Re: Sync with DAW - Cubase Artist 10

Post by mattbarker »

If I setup automation for the Start button on Octagon, and automate it at the first beat, it seems to work.

It would be great if this could be fixed up properly still though.

Cheers!
scook

Post by scook »

What happens if the sybc divider and octagon resets are connected to stop instead of start?
mattbarker

Post by mattbarker »

Hi mate thanks. I just tested for a while with it setup like that. Its seemingly a little better, but still unreliably syncing.

With the 'play' automation it's the best i can get it, but its still hit or miss on play :(

Thanks for the suggestion though.
LiteOn

Post by LiteOn »

Hi,

my issue is related: no real sync , the downbeats are always shifted.

Setup: Cubase 10 Po, Windows 10 Pro.

VM patch
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted sync_VM setup
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted sync_VM setup.png (432.28 KiB) Viewed 8045 times

Shift (relative to an kick track with expected downbeats)
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted sync_VM setup.png (432.28 KiB) Viewed 8045 times

VM's output (track VM downbeat / red)is always delayed/early (seems to be a constant shift).

I'm not sure what's going there, but that's clearly taking away the fun and immediacy commonly associated with the term "modular". ;)

Cheers,
LiteOn
Attachments
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted-sync
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted-sync
Cubase 10 Pro_track with shifted-sync.png (67.16 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
LiteOn

Post by LiteOn »

Sorry, I have no idea what's going on with the pic uploads here. At least both pictures depicting my issue are there. :mrgreen:
mattbarker

Post by mattbarker »

thanks for sharing your issue. On doing mixdown tests in the past I have very similar results.

Hoping they can fix soon, i got pretty hooked on VM in standalone haha, now I'm bummed out trying to use it 'for real' in a DAW.
Mariusz B.

Post by Mariusz B. »

Hi, I have the same problem with Cubase 10 Pro and solution what I found is to delay "Play Gate" using Trig-Delay block from Andrew Macaulay’s modules. In my case there is 180 ms delay time needed to sync all quite well.
I think there should be a universal module for sync to DAW clock without all this play-stop-sync-gate cables which complicate a patch a lot. In Reaktor this is done quite well.
Play Gate delay
Play Gate delay
VM trig-delay.jpg (402.3 KiB) Viewed 8020 times
LiteOn

Post by LiteOn »

Hi Mariusz,

thanks for your tips. I will try it whenever back at my DAW.

Funny, so far - though run from within Cubase - I never noticed any sync glitches because I was mainly noodling with VM.
Only the last days I started to wonder because I couldn't get anything musical/rhythmical out of Euclidian Duel when the kick was generated form another instrument track.

I'm sure they will fix this issue soon. So far Cherry Audio has done a great job with the product (price/features/regular tremendous updates/additions) and support!

LiteOn
mattbarker

Post by mattbarker »

Thanks Mariusz, this works (180ms sounds pretty close here too)

Sucks to have to pay to fix a bug like this, hopefully they can fix and simplify the process soon.

Any word from developers on this?
Thanks all.

Return to “Voltage Modular”