MXR Pitch Transposer

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
martin17

MXR Pitch Transposer

Post by martin17 »

Is there anything comparable in terms of sound for Voltage Modular? It's all about the famous feedback. Does anyone know of a comparable sound as a VST plug-in? Take a look at the video:
MXR.jpg
MXR.jpg (138.17 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZRQIBC13H4
UrbanCyborg

Re: MXR Pitch Transposer

Post by UrbanCyborg »

If this is basically a pitch shifter, then there are several, from the one that's part of the VM900 set, to one of MRB's, or the one in the Moog Rackmount Set. If, however, it's some kind of unit that transposes to integer multiples like old guitar boxes (the original pitch doubler, for instance), then I don't know. I'd suggest in that case looking through Waverley's line on the grounds that there might be something like that there, hiding under a strange name.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:02 am If this is basically a pitch shifter, then there are several, from the one that's part of the VM900 set, to one of MRB's, or the one in the Moog Rackmount Set.
just making things clear. the mxr pitch transposer is a pitch shifter. there is neither a pitch shifter in the vm900 set nor MRB's modules nor in the rackmount modules. There are frequency shifters in these bundles though.

pitch shifters preserve the harmonic ratios between individual partials in a signal, whereas frequency shifters do not. frequency shifters shift every partial the same amount which creates inharmonic sounds.

that being said, you can try a granulizer for real time pitch-shifting (like mine: Micro Grain) to do crude pitch shifting. Use the grain speed to alter pitch and set the grain density carefully to minimize artefacts.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

You can do pitch shifting with the Zeit Year 50 Collection bundle. It can operate in two modes:

1. Single channel, no crossfade, which sounds glitchy like a 1970s vintage harmonizer:
SingleChannelZeit.JPG
SingleChannelZeit.JPG (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
2. Twin channel, with crossfade, which sounds smoother, like an early '80s harmonizer:
TwinChannelZeit.JPG
TwinChannelZeit.JPG (83.65 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
There is a comprehensive instruction manual which describes its operation in detail.

Full disclosure: Zeit is one of my products, so I'm a bit biased towards it. :oops: However, there is a 28 free demo period if you want to give it a whirl in your own rack, first.

Post by utdgrant »

Zeit configured as pitch shifter (with lots of feedback / regeneration!). 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxB718XWKlE

Post by UrbanCyborg »

You are, of course, correct, Chris. My bad in responding so quickly off the top of my head.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

martin17 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:35 am Does anyone know of a comparable sound as a VST plug-in?
PLUGINS4FREE is always a good place to start looking.

Post by martin17 »

Thank you for everything, my digital friends. I have now obtained the solution from UDT Grant. By the way, the Time Bundle is not expensive = 4.20 bucks.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/z ... collection

Return to “Voltage Modular”