Minor issue on Sysex importer

Cherry Audio’s Chroma synthesizer is a stunning virtual instrument that meticulously revives the essence and sonic capabilities of the legendary Rhodes Chroma.
timg11

Minor issue on Sysex importer

Post by timg11 »

Hi, I just installed the Cherry Chroma. I'm a long-time Chroma fan and still have a couple of them in various states of being refurbished. Great to see the nice work you've done on your VST version.
I've been developing for the Chroma since it came out. First with a Z-80 system interfaced to the native parallel port. I added the Syntech MIDI interface, and wrote a Chroma Editor in DOS for the MPU-401 MIDI interface. It created .CHR files that did include names. I later migrated my several thousand patches to a DBASE database (I wrote an ASM subroutine to write the patch under the cursor to the edit buffer on the Chroma). Later I migrated to my SysexFiler utility that I used with all MIDI instruments. It can read and write sysex over MIDI and to and from files.

With that long introduction to the issue.... The Chroma instrument (currently running standalone) accepts and loads the Sysex files from Sysexfiler perfectly. For example "Chroma50set.syx". However when I tried to load some older sysex files from the DOS days (TIMS3-87.SYX), The Chroma instrument refuses them - the cursor changes to the circle/slash. I carefully inspected the files in hex, sysex headers, postfix, file length, etc. No differences other than the embedded patch data.
I finally had an inspiration, and changed the suffix from .SYX to .syx. Then Chroma loaded it. There may not be many like me with files dating back to DOS, but in any case it would be good to make the file type checking case-independent.

After importing, I see the 59 byte presets are expanded into user presets like "Chroma50set Preset 1.chromapreset", which are about 5K in size. The format is binary and not apparent from quick inspection. My original database has over 2400 patches in it. It contains other metadata like name, category, source file loaded from, and date added. If you could send me the documentation on the .chromapreset file format, I can see if it practical to convert the database to that format and share it with other users.
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Re: Minor issue on Sysex importer

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

timg11 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:05 pm I finally had an inspiration, and changed the suffix from .SYX to .syx. Then Chroma loaded it. There may not be many like me with files dating back to DOS, but in any case it would be good to make the file type checking case-independent.
This was fixed in version 1.0.9, released last Thursday.
If you could send me the documentation on the .chromapreset file format, I can see if it practical to convert the database to that format and share it with other users.
Please send a request through our Support system at https://cherryaudio.kayako.com/conversation/new with your contact information, and details about your database.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Thanks! I purchased, downloaded, and installed Chroma on Sunday 5/19, so perhaps the updated version hadn't propagated to your ecommerce download system.
i'll update, and send you other details by support ticket.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Hi, I'm running Chroma 1.0.9 (B99). Sync says it is up to date. I'm still seeing an issue where I cannot import MARCH94.SYX, but I can import if I rename the file to MARCH94.syx.

Also it appears that my Cherry Audio logins for store.cherryaudio.com, forums.cherryaudio.com, and cherryaudio.kayako.com are all independent and credentials are not coordinated. I can log in in the first two successfully.
I tried to log in to cherryaudio.kayako.com to follow up on the prior discussion on this issue. cherryaudio.kayako.com rejects my credentials that I just set up last month. I try reset password, and an email is not sent 30 minutes later.

Return to “Chroma”