High Pitched Ring

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SullenSecret

High Pitched Ring

Post by SullenSecret »

I have only one complaint about the sound of Voltage. I'm getting a quiet, high pitched ring from the notes. It's like a simulation of hardware synthesizers that's supposed to make it sound metallic. I find it quite annoying. I've tried equalizing it out, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Anyone else?
Jean d'Oran

Re: High Pitched Ring

Post by Jean d'Oran »

Hello, and good morning to every one !
Maybe your answer is in the subject "Ways to make ring mods"
Or in the subject
"ring modulator is not ring modulating"
Hope it will help ?

[Edit mode On]
Hmmm ! Sorry, bad translation of the word "Ring"
[Edit mode Off]
Last edited by Jean d'Oran on Sat May 18, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean, from France
less is more
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

SullenSecret wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:09 am I have only one complaint about the sound of Voltage. I'm getting a quiet, high pitched ring from the notes. It's like a simulation of hardware synthesizers that's supposed to make it sound metallic. I find it quite annoying. I've tried equalizing it out, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Anyone else?
Hm, I cannot hear such artifacts or see them in an analyzer, I just get the sound that I expect. Do you have any sound examples or an image of an analyzer showing this high pitched ring? Are you using the standalone or the plugin version?
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SullenSecret wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:09 am I have only one complaint about the sound of Voltage. I'm getting a quiet, high pitched ring from the notes. It's like a simulation of hardware synthesizers that's supposed to make it sound metallic. I find it quite annoying. I've tried equalizing it out, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Anyone else?
If you get the high pitched ring on all notes you play within VM, does the pitch show in a graphics plug-in (such as SPAN)? If not, you might have tinnitus, especially if no amount of equalization within VM gets rid of the high pitch tone.

Another thought: when you play a scale, does the high pitch change / track the note you play or does it remain the same? If it remains the same, again, it could be tinnitus.
SullenSecret

Post by SullenSecret »

This is only heard from Voltage. None of my many other instruments sound like this, even from Cherry. It's like we need a Voltage 3 to update the quality of the sound. I may find other oscillators that I prefer to use.

EDIT: Changing the filter on what I've already made to 6500 helps. That may be enough.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

This is very odd. One of the great things about the stock Oscillator module is that it doesn't generate any non-harmonic alias frequencies.

As Honki-Bobo said, it's really important to know if you're running in standalone mode or within a DAW / host program. VM always runs at 48kHz, regardless of the basic sample rate of your DAW session. Could there be some issue with poorly implemented sample-rate conversion in your DAW / sound driver software? What hardware audio interface are you using? Are you using the manufacturer's driver, Windows low-latency driver, ASIO4All or something else?

Please take a screenshot of your configuration / patch where this effect is at its most obvious to you. Posting the worst-offending patch here would also be a great help. Alternatively, could you use the recording facility on VM and post an example WAV file for us to listen to / analyse?

Post by SullenSecret »

I can see it in my equalizer in Cubase. I'll filter out the highs down to 6500 or 7000 and then put it through the Digital Reverb. On the Cubase graph, it will still show highs playing where there shouldn't be. Why would Reverb add that in? I then remove the Digital Reverb and switch over to Cubase's reverb, and it sounds much better. This is just one example. I took the Stereo Delay out a while back because I was starting to notice it from that one. It's like every audio module adds just slightly more. Slimming it all down to the essentials and using my editor for the rest really helps. I'm not crazy. Fanboys. :?
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

SullenSecret wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:56 am I can see it in my equalizer in Cubase. I'll filter out the highs down to 6500 or 7000 and then put it through the Digital Reverb. On the Cubase graph, it will still show highs playing where there shouldn't be.
So, just to be clear, are you complaining about the Oscillators:
I may find other oscillators that I prefer to use.
or the Reverbs and Delays?
I took the Stereo Delay out a while back because I was starting to notice it from that one.
Delays with feedback and reverb algorithms will always impose a frequency response on the input signal, and will of course 'ring' on certain peak resonant frequencies. In fact, even spring reverbs in vintage modulars were sometimes used for their frequency response, rather than as a way to extend sounds in time. Gordon Reid explains it very clearly in this Sound-On-Sound article:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -modelling

Post by Steve W »

SullenSecret wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:56 am I'm not crazy. Fanboys. :?
So far as I can see, no one who responded to you said you were crazy. What I see is a post that was devoid of details and people responding because the post was rather non-specific.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun May 19, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jean d'Oran

Post by Jean d'Oran »

Hello, the poorly translating Frenchie is back !

This time I read and Googled every post. As everyone tells you, an example of sound and patch would help!
Anyway, what you're describing is like running the sound through a high pass filter or a notch filter.
Do you use a filter ? Often there are three outputs: low pass, notch and high pass.
I reproduced what you describe with this patch:
Test for SullenSecret.voltagepreset
(7.48 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
SullenSecret test.jpg
SullenSecret test.jpg (530.03 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Tell us !
Jean, from France
less is more

Return to “Voltage Modular”