Request to the VM module designers

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SA2K

Request to the VM module designers

Post by SA2K »

Can someone who makes modules for Voltage Modular design a module like this one made for VCV Rack 2 - https://library.vcvrack.com/FrozenWaste ... obablyNote or make a patch that has similar components to form the whole thing? I'd love to get some assistance with it for fun generative experiments.
Last edited by SA2K on Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA2K

Re: Probability module request

Post by SA2K »

i got an email notification indicating Steve W replied to my thread but noticed no reply in case he needs to repost.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

I can't speak for any other developers, so someone might be interested in creating a port of this module from VCV into VM. It just won't be me who does it! :)

From a personal user / musician point of view, this particular module also seems incredibly niche. Even after watching YouTube videos of it being used within patches, and reading the User Manual, I'm still not sure of its purpose. A quick scan through the store led me to Playertron's Dynamic Quantizing Melody Extractor, which might be a close enough fit for generative music.

It terms of developing a patch from scratch with similar end-results, we'd need to know which modules you already have available to you. As an absolute minimum, I think you'd need to own VM Core, specifically the Quantizer and Poly Quantizer.

Or alternatively, you could take a different approach and manipulate the gate signal probabilities in a polyphonic patch by using the Mono to Poly module.
PolyGateProbability.jpg
PolyGateProbability.jpg (280.26 KiB) Viewed 722 times

Post by SA2K »

utdgrant wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:14 am I can't speak for any other developers, so someone might be interested in creating a port of this module from VCV into VM. It just won't be me who does it! :)

From a personal user / musician point of view, this particular module also seems incredibly niche. Even after watching YouTube videos of it being used within patches, and reading the User Manual, I'm still not sure of its purpose. A quick scan through the store led me to Playertron's Dynamic Quantizing Melody Extractor, which might be a close enough fit for generative music.

It terms of developing a patch from scratch with similar end-results, we'd need to know which modules you already have available to you. As an absolute minimum, I think you'd need to own VM Core, specifically the Quantizer and Poly Quantizer.

Or alternatively, you could take a different approach and manipulate the gate signal probabilities in a polyphonic patch by using the Mono to Poly module.

PolyGateProbability.jpg
I hope someone ports the Probably module I posted the link to. Many of the Voltage Modular modules are very niche in my opinion. They're real nice for unique sequencing tricks and special modulation and stuff.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Could you gain access to ProbabilityNote by running VCV Rack inside VM or running VM inside VCV Rack?

On the subject of porting I doubt any devs would be interested in porting this particular module. Although the core functionality would be easy enough to reproduce (as the C++ code is available for reference) that would represent only a relatively small part of the effort involved.

The motivation for most devs is the creative process and to build modules for their own use that don't exist yet. Porting isn't particularly rewarding from this perspective and most devs probably already have several projects in the planning stage that they are struggling to find time to bring to fruition.

If anyone is going to do porting it's going to be less creatively inspired and more in the hope of some commercial success so this inevitably means targeting things more popular than this particular module.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

ColinP wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 am Could you gain access to ProbabilityNote by running VCV Rack inside VM or running VM inside VCV Rack?

On the subject of porting I doubt any devs would be interested in porting this particular module. Although the core functionality would be easy enough to reproduce (as the C++ code is available for reference) that would represent only a relatively small part of the effort involved.

The motivation for most devs is the creative process and to build modules for their own use that don't exist yet. Porting isn't particularly rewarding from this perspective and most devs probably already have several projects in the planning stage that they are struggling to find time to bring to fruition.

If anyone is going to do porting it's going to be less creatively inspired and more in the hope of some commercial success so this inevitably means targeting things more popular than this particular module.
As for your porting comments about new modules vs ports actually a decent amount of Voltage Modular modules are ports or loosely or closely based on orignal designs. There's a new Turing module set that was just released that is based on the Euorack Music Of Things Turing module. Interestingly I made a fun patch in VCV Rack 2 with the same port that controls the ProbablyNote module. I prefer Voltage Modular over VCV Rack 2 for the most part because I love the interface features much more. The only other thing I want in Voltage Modular is a collection of "Classic" module skins based on the Voltage Modular Nucleus modules to make all the module skins similar so none of them look super cheap.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SA2K wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:16 pm
ColinP wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 am On the subject of porting I doubt any devs would be interested in porting this particular module. Although the core functionality would be easy enough to reproduce (as the C++ code is available for reference) that would represent only a relatively small part of the effort involved.

As for your porting comments about new modules vs ports actually a decent amount of Voltage Modular modules are ports or loosely or closely based on orignal designs.
Some suggestions (some of which you might have already tried): (1) Get the VMD (free for personal module development) and port it yourself. (2) Write PMs to those third-party developers who have taken an interest in porting VCV (or other) modules to VM; offer to underwrite the development of the module you want for a percent of the profits. (3) PM the VCV module developer to request a VM version.

From what I have seen, both Cherry Audio and third-party developers work on projects that interest them. While some might be open to tweak modules based on feedback, I am not sure than any have the time to develop modules on demand. That's why I suggested PMing a couple of module developers.

Another option: (4) Bring up the issue on the Voltage Modular Discord Server. There are some commercial and some personal module developers there. You might be able to find a developer there who is interested in attempting something similar to what you want.

Return to “Voltage Modular”