A voltage controled sample and Handle coupled with a glide time ?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
honki-bobo

Re: A voltage controled sample and Handle coupled with a glide time ?

Post by honki-bobo »

Jean d'Oran wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:34 pm Send the output of the Glide Module into the CV amount of an Amplifier module, connect either the sine or the triangle of the LFO to the input (and why not both?)
and modulate wath you want, randomly and smoothly with the output of the amplifier !
Two things I'd like to mention here:
Try to avoid using the Formula module. It is extremely CPU intensive, especially for what it does in your patch. Since you're just scaling and offsetting you can easily replace the Formula modules with a combination of Attenuverters and DC Offsets.
And the second Formula module (and subsequently the second Glide module and the Amplifier) can create outputs of +/- 15.15V. This might be what you want, but it caught my attention.
replace_formula.jpg
replace_formula.jpg (165.43 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Can I suggest the Smol Rat module? It is available completely free-of-charge in the Dome Music Technologies Freebie Collection. Just using the front panel knobs, you can set rise and fall times to 10 seconds. However, if you use the ACE Constants and Multipliers module (also included in the Freebies Collection) as a CV input to Smol Rat, you can get insanely slow slew rates.

The RAT Pack Bundle and ACE Bundle user guides are available here.

EDIT:

Be aware that the output of Smol Rat will be an exponential RC charge / discharge curve, so it might not be exactly suited to your needs.

However, it is possible to configure the modules of the Audio Computing Engine Collection to generate a strictly linear slew-rate limiter. In fact there is a preset which allows you to vary the curve shapes from logarithmic, thru linear to exponential, in the same fashion as the Make Noise "Maths" hardware module. The rates can be made ultra-slow and voltage-controllable, too. Unfortunately, the ACE Bundle is not free-of-charge, but I think $5 is a fair price for eight active modules. Full disclosure: I'm the developer behind Dome Music Technology products.

Post by utdgrant »

I used three Smol Rats in series to smooth the output of a random sample & hold signal. Both the LFO frequency and the slew rates of the Smol Rats is controlled by a single control voltage source. This CV source is Channel 1 of the ACE Constants and Multipliers module.
Smol Rat Random Slew Patch.jpg
Smol Rat Random Slew Patch.jpg (382.29 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Smol Rat Random Slew.jpg
Smol Rat Random Slew.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Smol Rat Random Slew.voltagepreset
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Video demo on YouTube

Post by utdgrant »

Using the S&H output of an LFO to determine the SLOPE / Rate of Change of an ACE Integrator module. The higher the output value of the LFO, the steeper the slope of the Integrator output. Positive output from the LFO leads to an upwards slope, while negative LFO outputs leads to downwards slopes. Note that the integrator output does not attempt to 'aim' towards the LFO output. The overall slope rate and the LFO frequency are both voltage controlled by Channel 1 of the ACE Constants and Multipliers module.
Integrator Random Slope LFO.jpg
Integrator Random Slope LFO.jpg (226.67 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Integrator Random Slew.voltagepreset
(15.37 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Demo video at YouTube

Post by Steve W »

Great discussion!! Even though I will probably never implement this kind of control in terms of glide per se, the approaches presented here are very informative!!
Jean d'Oran

Post by Jean d'Oran »

yes, very interesting discussion, and which allows us to see that there are many ways to achieve the same result. These exchanges were very informative, allowing me to consider modules whose I did not suspect the existence ... or whose I had not understood how they worked. Anyway, thank you all.
Ultimately, this discussion allowed me to simplify the gas plant that my patch was at the beginning !
Jean, from France
Dos never said "excellent command or filename" !
Jean d'Oran

Post by Jean d'Oran »

Hello everybody !
Resumption of the discussion, with another solution because I had not properly posed the problem, nor what I wanted to obtain: a progressive and random variation in voltage with a period of more than 3 minutes, or even 15 minutes.
The easiest way to get this "random LFO" seems to be the use of 3 LFOs with fairly close frequencies and mix them. Each LFO delivers a bipolar sine wave, modulated by the random voltage coming from itself, made unipolar by the addition of a DC voltage of 5 V, and negative by its processing in the attenuverter. At each cycle, the frequency is thus modified. If the Random is -1 V it is divided by 2, and for -3 V divided by 8 (2 to the power of 3)

The DC Source 1 button also globally modulates the speed in the same ratios : with a starting frequency of 0.02 Hz, and -5 Volts applied, it becomes 0.000625 Hz, i.e. a wavelength of 1600 s (26mn 40s)
Button 2 is set to 5 volts and should not be changed. It says 10V because there are 2 cables... This makes the random voltages of each LFO positive, then inverted, so they just slow down the frequency. You can adjust the amount of these slowdowns by moving the fader button. This can further increase the division of F up to 2 to the power of 15 (10+5), or for 0.02 Hz initially, you obtain 0.00000061035156250 Hz or a wavelength of up to 18 days 23h 6mn 40s in theory !
Finally, the amplitudes of each LFO in the mixer are modulated by their own inverted ramdom, to reduce patch accelerations when the value is near 0.

[Mode edit on]
Sorry there were a mistake on the R_Ware Control learnings... it's corrected :
[Mode edit off]
the patch :
LFOs aléatoires vraiment.voltagepreset
Ramdom LFO
(34.06 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
and a musical try with 3 patches (let it breathe)
aléatroie Radiguien complexe.voltagepreset
a drone
(85.97 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Jean, from France
Dos never said "excellent command or filename" !

Return to “Voltage Modular”