Newby Question: is there a FREE or CORE polyphonic oscillator?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
takato

Re: Newby Question: is there a FREE or CORE polyphonic oscillator?

Post by takato »

the issue is that i am right now trying to figure out is Voltage Modular for me, so i will not buy anything before i find it what i need.
there's a VCV also as an alternative, and that is not the only one.
anyway, i own Nord's Micro Modular, so there is no reason to use soft for me anyway, so it more like research right now.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

You can download Voltage Modular Core as a demo and use it for a trial period free of charge. That should let you evaluate whether it's a good fit for you.

I was a Nord Modular G1 ultra-fan for decades, but VM has completely taken over it in my workflow.

When I decided to go for the VM solution, VCV Rack couldn't be used as a VST plug-in, so that made it not an option. Nowadays, you can use it as a plug-in, so I can't comment on which system is best.

Post by huggermugger »

Likewise, I spent a few years working with Nord G1 and another year with the G2. I also enjoyed a couple of very concentrated years with VCV Rack. When I first came across VM, I was intrigued by its well-integrated interface ('shell'), but disappointed by how few modules there were. That soon changed though, and now it's 100% VM for my modular needs.

The Nords are closed systems with an unexpandible selection of mostly bread & butter modules and negligible integration with a DAW. Also, they are obsolete. VCV is cool, with a ton of interesting modules, but years after it was first released, I still find the shell UI clunky and limited. VM on the other hand integrates beautifully with a DAW, providing immediate access to all the main controls as well as audio I/O. It also has a clever multing system and useful features like Variations, Performance Controls, Cabinets, etc.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

The one advantage Nord Modular has over VM for me is that it is guaranteed never to glitch, even if a patch uses 99.9% DSP load. I don't play live any more, so that's not really an issue any longer. (I still can't bear to part with my two Nord Micros - way too much sentimental value for that!)

Post by takato »

utdgrant wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:26 pm The one advantage Nord Modular has over VM for me is that it is guaranteed never to glitch, even if a patch uses 99.9% DSP load. I don't play live any more, so that's not really an issue any longer. (I still can't bear to part with my two Nord Micros - way too much sentimental value for that!)
i know exactly what do u ment.
anyway, thank for your answers, this string osc, is exactly what got me going again. halleluujah!
takato

Post by takato »

but.... there nothing close to work with hardware. i am probably geargay. is there a term for that? :D

Return to “Voltage Modular”