Editing upper and lower layers

The Cherry Audio Elka-X synthesizer is based upon the legendary Synthex, a rare Italian analog synthesizer designed by Mario Maggi and manufactured by ELKA in the early eighties.
craigyb

Editing upper and lower layers

Post by craigyb »

I'm building an Elka-X editor and I've hit a serious snag, I can switch between layers (upper and lower) with upper being the default layer, editing works perfectly, but I want to edit the lower layer and I assumed by sending a messages to select the lower synth, the pot/button would work with the same midi message but on the lower layer, after experimenting it seems that each layer requires its own CC number or note etc to edit a value, so in effect you need nearly 320 individual MIDI messages to edit the synth fully, CC messages top out at 119 available which means I have to find another 200 or so messages that I can send from a controller.

It would be really useful if you could edit either layer with the pot/button having an effect on whichever layer is selected.

I'm going to log a support call with Cherry as it seems to be a serious omission.
synth.jpg
synth.jpg (225.46 KiB) Viewed 677 times
craigyb

Re: Editing upper and lower layers

Post by craigyb »

I think I've found a work around, using the min and max settings in the MIDI section allows me to assign 1 CC to control the switching of multiple buttons in radio groups such as the Osc1 footage 1-16' which required 5 CC messages, but its possible to squeeze them onto 1 CC message with values between 0-127 allowing me to reduce to reduce the CC count considerably, I still need 187 messages to fully control the synth, but for now I will leave out the sequencer section as this would have been difficult to program successfully at the moment. Not sure if I will remove from the board or just leave it to be used in the future.

I was trying to combine multiple radio sections on to one CC number but unfortunately this was unsuccessful in test, the first group always switched to the last value when I edited the second group.

Return to “Elka-X Synthesizer”