Oh no ! Feature request already !

PS-3300 is an exactingly faithful virtual analog emulation of the massive semi-modular analog polyphonic synthesizer released by Korg in 1977.
UrbanCyborg

Re: Oh no ! Feature request already !

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Go into the settings for the instrument (click on the gear wheel at the top), select the Interface tab, and see whether the "On Control Double-click:" item is set to edit the control's value or select it's default value. It sounds like yours is set to edit the value. If it's the other behavior you want, just change the setting.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
StudioAndromeda

Post by StudioAndromeda »

Perfect, thank you BOTH very much for the help! :-)
jayuhfree

Post by jayuhfree »

Savable user temperaments?
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Hi all, I have the CA2600, Elka0-X, and GX-80 in my toolbox of instruments. I have not used them extensively, but find them flexible and powerful.

I was intrigued by the announcement of the PS-3300 Synthesizer. I watched the Introduction to Cherry Audio's PS-3300 - Hosted by Tim Shoebridge on youtube to get a feel for it.

One thing that surprised me was that it has a single envelope generator for both VCF and VCA.
That seems like a limitation and shortcoming - maybe it was one of those tough compromises at the time of the original design, but does it need to be retained in the virtual world? Granted you want to retain the essence of the original instrument, but would adding a second envelope generator for the filter have any downside if it was optional to use? I.E. add a switch on the filter mod for "use EG2". Plenty of other enhancements and modernizations have been added. Even the humble 2600 has both ADSR and AR.

Other people's thoughts? Maybe this is a non-issue, but it really jumped out at me in a negative way.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

timg11 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:46 pm
One thing that surprised me was that it has a single envelope generator for both VCF and VCA.
That seems like a limitation and shortcoming - maybe it was one of those tough compromises at the time of the original design, but does it need to be retained in the virtual world? Granted you want to retain the essence of the original instrument, but would adding a second envelope generator for the filter have any downside if it was optional to use? I.E. add a switch on the filter mod for "use EG2". Plenty of other enhancements and modernizations have been added. Even the humble 2600 has both ADSR and AR.
You can patch the GEG (General Envelope Generator) in the master section into the VCF(s) instead.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 5.19.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 5.19.08 PM.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 12047 times
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

huggermugger wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:20 pm You can patch the GEG (General Envelope Generator) in the master section into the VCF(s) instead.
Be aware that the GEG is monophonic, so your filter sweeps will end up being paraphonic. Admittedly, I love paraphonic synths, but I don't think this is what the OP desires.
GeneralEnvelope.jpg
GeneralEnvelope.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 12007 times

Post by timg11 »

Thanks @utdgrant - that's exactly correct. GEG is not the same thing.

Just to clarify why filter EG and amp EG benefit from being independent, consider the "classic" VCF sweep sound. You might want the VCF EG to sweep the filter cutoff down to a low sustain level, while maintaining the full VCA amplitude with a higher sustain value (or even an AR type of waveform) to keep the output strong as the filter closes. When the key is released then the release phase takes the amplitude to zero.

With a single EG, the higher-frequency filter-open part of the sweep will always have to be louder than the filter-closed part of the sweep.

Here's how it could be implemented:

Return to “PS-3300 Synthesizer”