Minicleus - A poor man's 2022 Model D

Share your custom presets here.
honki-bobo

Minicleus - A poor man's 2022 Model D

Post by honki-bobo »

Dear fellow modular enthusiasts,

I have replicated the signal flow of a 2022 Model D using Nucleus modules exclusively. It does not look, feel or sound anything like the original, but It showcases the power of VM Nucleus and the general fatness of a 3 oscillator monosynth.

I have tried to replicate every switch, knob and jack of its archetype to the best of my abilities and capabilities of VM Nucleus and I've labeled all controls and jacks from the original. The upper two cabinets contain the "user interface" of the synth with labeled controlls (cream), the lower two cabinets contain the "internals", including constant voltage sources, on/off switches, A/B switches, crossfaders and some signal processing (black labels for easier identification).

What I could not replicate:
  • overload lamp in the mixer
  • Decay switch (since the envelope generator cannot be controlled by CV), has to be done manually with the envelopes
  • automatic switching to external source when a jack is plugged in (Ext. signal input and Mod. Source input), so I added switches
  • triangle/saw hybrid waveform (since the waveforms cannot be phase shifted)
  • A440 tuning tone (not really needed)
  • headphone and low level jacks (also not needed)
If I have missed something or have made a mistake in the signal flow, feel free to leave a comment.

Have fun exploring and playing around with the patch.
Minicleus.voltagepreset
(82.26 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Minicleus.jpg
Minicleus.jpg (430.21 KiB) Viewed 7971 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Steve W

Re: Minicleus - A poor man's 2022 Model D

Post by Steve W »

It works on my PC. Looks like you put in a lot of effort into doing this!!! What does the power supply do? I think I can hear a subtle difference if I remove it and put it back. Not sure though.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Well, this is the outcome of a lazy Sunday and 2 and a half evenings. I've used the original Minimoog Model D manual and 3 software emulations (Cherry Audio, Universal Audio and Native Instruments) as a reference. The actual challenge was the constraint of using VM Nucleus modules exclusively, so basically everybody can use it for free.

Glad to hear it works for you!
The "power supply" provides a constant 5V DC source, which I use in one way or another in multiple places, especially for the switches.
Monkey Business Audio
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

The patch is now also available on patchstorage.
Monkey Business Audio
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

Awesome patch. Thank you for sharing!

Return to “Preset Exchange”