Website moving to a new hosting company

ColinP

Website moving to a new hosting company

Post by ColinP »

I'm in the process of moving my website adroitsynthesis.com to a different hosting company.

The migration should go smoothly and have no impact on you but there's always a small possibility of a glitch so I thought it wise to let you know.

Should you have any problems accessing the website and/or emailing me then please post a message on this forum and as always I'll do my best to provide prompt support.
Steve W

Re: Website moving to a new hosting company

Post by Steve W »

I put "adroitsynthesis.com" into Google's search bar and went to your site. How do I know if its the new one or the old one?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

You won't be able to tell as they'll look identical. Basically all that's involved in migration is copying all the files from one server to another then redirecting the name servers. The email change is similar.

Domain name lookup takes a little while to propagate around the world but there shouldn't be any problems. It should be all completely seamless, I just wanted to alert people in case I manage to mess something up.

The whole process shouldn't take more than a few days and I'll post an update when it's all sorted.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

It turns out that I have messed things up slightly as I didn't think that domain transfers can take 5 to 7 working days. I wrongly assumed it took not much longer than DNS propagation. It is after all just a simple set of automated transactions but apparently ye olde internet still uses carrier pigeons for the important stuff.

So there's a risk that my domain registration will expire a day or two prior to transfer completion. There appear to be various ICANN imposed grace periods and mechanisms to recover from this situation and I've already triggered the transfer with an EPP code and received confirmation from the old registrar that it's all moving forward so I'm probably worrying needlessly. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to cough up yet more money to buy the adroitsynthesis.com name back.

The data migration to the new server is done so the website is safe (and I always keep multiple backups anyway) it's just that there might be a couple of days when the DNS is out of whack. If this happens I'll post a temporary URL here.

So folks, the lesson is - if you run a website and are thinking of doing a migration and domain transfer near the end of the registration period allow more time than this idiot did!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Maybe that's why I keep staying with my current hosting service--even though Verizon has taken it over, removed tons of services that had been bundled with the plan previously and also jacked up the prices for the lesser amount of services they provide. :-(

Sorry to hear the transfer process is taking long than anticipated, but thanks for giving us a heads up.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I'm only moving because the former company wanted nearly four times as much per year as the new one for hosting what's supposedly an "economy" account. Plus the performance on their server was a bit hit and miss (probably 500 other websites crammed on to the same low-power blade). Of course the new company could be worse for all I know.

Web hosting companies basically reel you in with cheap offers and then jack up the prices because they know that most people don't want to go through all the hassle and technical challenges of moving.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Just a quick update. I think I've done everything correctly but it's all far more tricky than one might imagine. The SSL currently doesn't work so https access to the website fails, also the email records aren't updated but I think both these problems are caused by the fact that the DNS hasn't propagated yet.

So for a few hours at least if you need to access the website please use http://adroitsynthesis.com/ rather than https://adroitsynthesis.com/
You will most likely get a Not Secure warning though.

Hopefully everything should be back to normal by the end of today!
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Good news. As far as I can tell the migration process is complete and everything is back to normal. :D

The website is now SSL protected and available through the regular address https://adroitsynthesis.com/

And you can email as usual using contact@adroitsynthesis.com or support@adroitsynthesis.com.

A quick test seems to reveal that the website performance is much improved too with images loading much faster than previously,
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

After the migration all the Download buttons on the website returned to a default setting which meant in most circumstances they stopped working. Probably some hiccup with a Wordpress plugin.

I'm very sorry if this has had a negative impact on the large number of people who have recently acquired the Granular Synth bundle and are slowly working their way through the documentation downloading the presets. Everything should work properly now for the GS and N-Step related webpages and I'm combing through the rest of the website to ensure everything else works too. But it's a fairly large website so it'll take me a few hours.

If you come across any Download buttons that still don't work a few hours after this post then please let me know.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”