Chaser is now available

borkman

Chaser is now available

Post by borkman »

My newest module, Chaser, is now available. It is essentially a 1x8 sequential switch inspired by strings of LED lights and was designed to have multiple instances strung together in different ways. If you're interested in trying it out, there is a two week demo period as well as a set of free example presets to give some ideas how it could be used. Also, as I did with the last module, it is on sale for $5 for at least the next week.

As always, if you have any questions, problems, suggestions, or comments, let me know. Thank you!
utdgrant

Re: Chaser is now available

Post by utdgrant »

That looks like it holds a lot of potential for building up elaborate, interactive sequential logic circuits.

I could imagine using it as a building block for replicating the functionality of a Klee sequencer or Turing Machine module.

It also lends itself to Linear Feedback Shift Register designs, Pseudorandom Number Generators, etc.

Post by borkman »

Thank you for sharing your insights! A few different approaches were tried before settling on this one. When it was done I was concerned that maybe it ended up a bit too simplistic. Your comments make me think maybe not. :D
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

borkman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:10 am Thank you for sharing your insights! A few different approaches were tried before settling on this one. When it was done I was concerned that maybe it ended up a bit too simplistic. Your comments make me think maybe not. :D
I think it strikes exactly the right balance between being open-ended and being self-contained.

You could certainly replicate the main functionality using VM Core modules, particularly the Analog Shift Register. However, that module lacks the LED indicators, direction control, the mode controls and the extensive I/O of yours. Trying to replicate those extra functions would require the addition of multiple external logic modules and things would get messy, quickly.

It's a question you constantly have to ask yourself: Do I make each module a basic atomic building block to increase its usefulness in a 'pure modular' sense, or do I give it bells and whistles so that it can be used without requiring external modules? You can draw a similar parallel between Moog Modulars (the 'pure' approach, where even CV input attenuators / inverters require an external module) and ARP modular designs (the 'self-contained' approach, where CV input mixers are included by default).

Compare also the difference between single-purpose Lego 'objects' and general purpose 'atoms'. Sometimes it's nice to build a vehicle using general purpose Techno bricks / gears, and other times it's nicer to have a ready-made driver's cabin and shovel mechanism for making a small backhoe loader.

Post by sdv »

I tried the demo and presets and have gotten nowhere with them. What I'm looking for in a sequential switch module is to have probability added to each step. I could see this module being connected to the new SVG module with each jack being connected to an note from a scale then with a probability dial added to each jack. Ideally the 'LED' system could be run by an LFO so it could go fall the directions an LFO goes.
borkman

Post by borkman »

Thanks for your input. This module is completely deterministic, so I'm not sure how to add randomness into the mix. Is DMT Familiar or RANDOM8 closer to what you seek?
sdv

Post by sdv »

borkman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:15 am Thanks for your input. This module is completely deterministic, so I'm not sure how to add randomness into the mix. Is DMT Familiar or RANDOM8 closer to what you seek?
Thanks for the suggestions on the other two modules but they aren't quite what I was seeking. Insomniac's Probability 521 is the closest to what I'm imagining but I'm looking for eight inputs and one output.
borkman

Post by borkman »

sdv wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:07 pm Thanks for the suggestions on the other two modules but they aren't quite what I was seeking. Insomniac's Probability 521 is the closest to what I'm imagining but I'm looking for eight inputs and one output.
I've played around an 8x1 switch with weights assigned to each knob, but at the time it seemed to me it was too close in functionality to other things already out there. If I revisit it, I"ll PM you for more ideas. Thanks!
sdv

Post by sdv »

borkman wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:00 am
sdv wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:07 pm Thanks for the suggestions on the other two modules but they aren't quite what I was seeking. Insomniac's Probability 521 is the closest to what I'm imagining but I'm looking for eight inputs and one output.
I've played around an 8x1 switch with weights assigned to each knob, but at the time it seemed to me it was too close in functionality to other things already out there. If I revisit it, I"ll PM you for more ideas. Thanks!
That's a deal!

Return to “borkman”