QWERTY not MIDI?

PS-20 is an ultra-realistic, polyphonic, hot-rodded tribute to Korg's renowned MS-20.
jasonviande

QWERTY not MIDI?

Post by jasonviande »

Hello all,

First, I apologize as a am a noob.

I was recently trying to use the QWERTY kb feature on the PS-20 to record on my DAW (Mixcraft 9) and while it does register sound (through the speakers and the VU on the track), it doesn't actually record anything while playing unless I use the built in QWERTY kb in MC9. I asked on the Acoustica forum and was told that most built in keyboards on Virtual Instruments are for test only and do not record MIDI (which is apparently what I am doing). Normally I use the PS-20 for sidechaining effects and have only recently begun using the PS-20 as a virtual instrument.

Is this true, or is this a MC9 issue? If it is the DAW there is literally nothing I can do at the moment (new hobby, limited funds, etc.) but I would like to know what the experts think.

Thank you,

Jason
UrbanCyborg

Re: QWERTY not MIDI?

Post by UrbanCyborg »

It's not a flaw on anyone's part, just how most DAWs do business. They don't expect instruments to play themselves, they expect either to play them from some means native to the DAW, like a piano roll or MIDI automation, or to have the control information fed in from an external source, like a MIDI keyboard. You'll want to go through the docs for your DAW on how to set up to record a soft synth instrument.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
jasonviande

Re: QWERTY not MIDI?

Post by jasonviande »

Well, this is good to know it is SOP for this kind of software. A very inexpensive MIDI controller is incoming for sure at some point (maybe on by b-day?), but for right now this will be more than adequate. Time to crack out the manual! Oh, and something else I might explore would be using the old "Stereo Mix" Windows sound option to get "what you hear" audio.

Thank you so much for your help!

-Jason

Return to “PS-20 Synthesizer”